Is it likely that my baby will turn from frank breech?

I'm 37 weeks and 2 days and scheduled to have a c-section next week unless he turns.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I'm not sure how likely. Are they going to try to turn him if he doesn't turn on his own? My son was breech up until about 36 weeks, and we were going to wait a week longer to see if he turned. He then turned completely sideways and was estimated to weigh 8 lbs(he ended up being almost 9 lbs, lol). Transverse babies basically have to be born by c-section, so we scheduled it. They checked the day of the delivery to see if maybe he had turned, but he hadn't. I was told at 36 weeks that basically, if he was still breech, it wasn't likely that he was going to turn. They were right. If you do end up having a c-section, don't worry. I was terrified, and it ended up being a piece of cake and sooo much better than I expected. If you do end up having the c-section scheduled and have any questions, I'd be more than happy to answer them if I can. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:28 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I want to add, while it may not be likely that he'll turn, I have heard of it happening, so there's definitely a chance!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:29 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• That sounds kind of ridiculous. Unless there is some other medically valid reason for getting a c-section early, then you should wait until you're actually due to see if the baby will turn on his own. Google exercises you can do to help try to turn the baby.
    Anonymous

• No, they aren't going to try to turn him b/c he's in frank breech. My dr just said I will have the c-section if he doesn't turn on his own. I don't think he has turned b/c I'm still feeling kicks in the same place as before. I'll be 39 weeks when he does the c-section.
    Anonymous

• It's never too late for a baby to turn. I had my ultrasound on Wednesday, and my son was still breech. I scheduled my c-section for the next day, went in on Thursday, and he had flipped that night, sometime in the 18 hours after my ultrasound. I was 38 weeks.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:44 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• http://pregnancychildbirth.suite101.com/article.cfm/turning_a_breech_baby
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:31 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Some babies turn after contractions begin. The safest thing to do for mother and child is always to let natural labor begin. A trial of labor is the safest out come for the baby, even in transverse position. It is also completely possible to deliver frank breech vaginally. The WHO and the ACOG both say this. Your doctor isn't following medical guidelines by scheduling an early surgery. I would look into ways of turning your baby first.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:10 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Babies will turn at any time, as their heads get heavier, later on, they are even more likely to turn. They can turn at any point, even *in* labor. (The contractions can coax them into a better position.)

Why not allow baby the opportunity to turn? Or even coax via exercises, Moxibustion, Webster... ?

You could decline anything you don't want~ and you should know you'll have options. IF this doctor informs you of his inability to attend a vaginal breech delivery you could request your care to be transferred to another physician with more experience, or possibly better yet: a midwife.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:23 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Babies can turn anytime, that is true. And even if it doesn't, it is less risky then a c-section to deliver a frank breech vaginally, unless you have a care provider who is not trained, or is not insured to deliver a breech vaginally. At the very least, your doctor should allow your body to wait until labor to make the call. Your baby can turn during labor. It is absolutely ridiculous that you are scheduled for surgery before even giving you a real chance.

squish

Answer by squish at 5:36 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• DO NOT Schedule a c-section for breech. You wait until you go into labor and then check.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Jun. 14, 2010