So we moved a year ago...

It's a historic neighborhood with twin homes that are very charming. A place where we've both always wanted to live. The houses go for $300,000 and up but we were lucky enough to get ours for under 300. Thing is the boundaries outside our neighborhood are not the best caliber of people. In the past year I've had things stolen from my car and our porch. Tonight I just heard 2 gun shots. I don't feel safe I don't know what to do. I want to move out of the city. But we just bought this house. Now what? I don't want to stress hubby out. Should I just stick it out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:40 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• Well, if you sell using a realtor, you'll just lose so much money. If you can sell by owner, then maybe I'd do it. Can you speak to the local police department in your area and google crime stats based on your zip code? The shots might have been isolated. What kinds of things are being stolen? Like a ball or lawn chair or what? Stuff someone could sell? Are other neighbors having the same problem? Really start talking to neighbors and get a clearer pic of what is going on. And who is doing these crimes. If crime rates are up, sell. Your safety and peace of mind are more important than the few thousands you could lose on selling. JMO.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:37 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• You try to sell your house now, and your going to have to pay taxes on it. You have to wait at least three years. You'll be lucky if you sell your house in this economy.
    I say stick it out. Lock your cars, Don't leave anything of value on the porch. Install motion lights and invest in a security system. Deadbolts are good too!
    Anonymous

• Lol I have an alarm and deadbolts. Not the motion lights though. yet.

op
    Anonymous

• I find it hard to believe the price of your home is so high if the neighborhood is so bad. But I guess its possible. Is there a neighborhood crime watch in your area? Can you look into starting one? The motion lights are a great idea as well.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:53 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I guess you didn't read the question correctly.

op
    Anonymous

• Did you just 'dis MamaChamp for offering her thoughts?
    Anonymous

• Sit your husband down and have a heart to heart conversation with him. Tell him everything you are feeling.
    Anonymous

• maybe mamchamp shot the gun?
    Anonymous