Sibling rivarly? My 5 year old girl and my 2 year old son keep fighting. Some days its like all day long. How do I change this?

I think hannah is jealous of the attention I give Casen, but he is special. He has always been a sick baby, and now that he is older, he has speech problems, and I think he doesn't understand some things, so I guess I tend to him more than Hananh and I think that makes her jealous. Then in turn, she takes it out on him.

fufu4321_99

Asked by fufu4321_99 at 8:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2008 in General Parenting

• Since you have a five year old who can understand, I would sit her down and explain that she is your helper and the two of you are a team helping the little brother. Build her up, let her help you with the little things and praise her up and down! She is probably jealous. My older one used to always tell me I favored the younger one. I think I did let her get away with alot more that my first. She wasn't a fighter though so I couldn't tell until she let me know that. Try to spend some time a day, just you and you daughter. I know that's hard, especially if you are tired. I think disciplining the two year old is also important to get his behavior under control. It will also show your girl that he will not be treated differently if he is hitting, spitting, whatever. If she is physically fighting, she needs a time out too. It's tough to give them both what they need but that's what it's about. Good luck.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 9:10 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I missed the part about him being special. It's understandable that Hannah would be jealous. May I gently mention you say, BUT he is special. Of course he needs more attention but Hannah needs to know she is special in her own way because she is. Just knowing you are including her will be important. Also, ask her what she is wanting from you. Talk to her about how she feels. "What do I do for Casen that you would like me to do for you Hannah?" She may just say, "I wants some hugs and help when I get dressed" maybe something simple. I feel for you Mama! Sorry So Long
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 9:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• My 2nd son was born preemie and has problems and I feel guilty becasue I do give him more attention which is not fair to my 10 year old . We have a shawn day where he picks what he wants to do and we take him to do it . It helps but he always asks why he does not get much attention , he has no idea what is wrong with his brother and I do nto expect him to understand . I am working on evening it out .
    angeleyesm

Answer by angeleyesm at 1:35 PM on Jun. 28, 2008