Are you embarrassed to pay with WIC or food stamps?

I was always kind of embarrassed to pay with my WIC. Not only did everyone behind me in line stare, I felt like I was holding the line up, and EVERY store seemed to allow different things than the last one, lol.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• More than anything I hate it when they change what is allowed or the store doesn't have the correct list and a manager has to come over, or if I get the wrong item I have to go back. Holding the line up is the worst! I feel like people look down on me for using wic, but if they knew how much it helped my family I don't think they would look at me like that.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:01 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• no i was on wic with my first and i wasn't embarrassed (ok maybe if i had the wrong thing and had to go back, but that is embarassing anyway lol)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:54 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• nope, why would anyone be embarrassed to feed their children?
    Anonymous

• no, i really dont care. i think WIC is more embarrassing then food stamps, because it takes so long for them to ring you up with those stupid checks. but food stamps is like using a credit card so its quick and i dont care what anybody thinks .. im sure most people wish they had someone paying for there food because everyone really is broke right now in this economy.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:55 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I'm embarassed that I have to rely on someone/something else for assitance, but i'm not so embarassed that I wouldn't take the help....because it feeds my family.
    Anonymous

• i think WIC is great! i'm not embarassed to use it. i always tell the people that get in line behind me so if they decide to wait that's on them. and for some reason it almost always starts a conversation.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 11:01 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Nope, never embarrassed to use my WIC. I needed the help with the formula (I had planned on breastfeeding, but due to medical complications, I wasn't able). I'm not embarrassed to ask for help. As for the "holding up the line" thing, I always just went early in the morning when there weren't too many shoppers so there wouldn't be a line to hold up.
    Anonymous

• No I'm not really embarrassed but I know what you mean when everyone behind you is staring like you're the most annoying person alive. Then of course when you get the snottiest people behind you, you picked out the wrong thing and they have to go get another one. I say if the help is there and you qualify use it, and there's nothing wrong with it.
    Anonymous

• I have never had to use wic, but I have had to go to a food bank for help. I will gladly stand behind someone in line who has to pay with food stamps, not a problem here!
    Anonymous

• When I was on it, yes, in a way I was. Mainly I just didn't want to deal with all the nasty looks/remarks I was tired of it. But other than that no because I know I needed it at that time and I would rather be paying with that to feed my kids then dirty money.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 11:13 PM on Jun. 13, 2010