Should I put my daughter back on soy formual?

i breast fed my daughter till she was 2wks old, then i went to formula cuz i had to start taking medication for myself....but when i put her on regular DHARA Formula she was always fussy and never stopped crying and wouldn't eat!, Then my mom suggested we switch her to soy and she was fine & we took her to the dr. and he said to switch her back to regular formula after a month so that way she don't become to used to it so thats what i did and so far its the same way she was b4 now im thinking about to put her back on soy is that a good idea?

GyesMommy08

Asked by GyesMommy08 at 11:02 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you should try other formulas for sensitive digestive systems before trying soy.good luck!
    alotta_fagina

Answer by alotta_fagina at 11:04 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Try mixing the other formula with the soy and see how she does - she may be able to tolerate that. If not, go back to the soy.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 11:06 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I always had luck with the parents choice formula at walmart. Seriously, it had to be the only formula that my boys didn't have problems on.
    Anonymous

• Note: Mix in the soy and gradually add more regular formula to step her back up to it.
    neebug3766

• get away from the DHA formula. try one w/out it and see if that makes a difference http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/911647/The_Dangers_Of_DHA_and_ARA_in_Infant_Formulas_A_Must_Read
    Anonymous

• I would put her back on soy
    Anonymous

• Please read the link posted by Anon11:10. The DHA/ARA may be the cause of the problem.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 11:23 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Have you checked your medication with Dr hale's medications and mothers milk? MOST medications are safe to nurse on and I'd advise you to relactate over any kind of formula.

If it's one of the few you really can't nurse on, I'd suggest trying a sensitive cows milk based formula before going straight to soy. Also, try one without the dha/ara like others have suggested.

Really though, find out about your med from the expert. Doctors and pharma companies just say no to nearly everything and don't actually look into it.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:31 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I would put her back on the soy formula. Our daughter was on regular formula, but turned out to be lactose intolerant. So, she's been on soy formula since she was about 1 week old. Our doctor said that she would have us try the regular formula once she is about 4 months old. She said that most babies outgrow it if they are lactose intolerant.
    hmurf

Answer by hmurf at 10:30 AM on Jun. 16, 2010