Wopuld you give a stranger in front of you in line a couple of dollars if they were short on cash?

Recently we were in line behind a guy and his wife. They were paying for their groceries and they ended up being like $1.75 short. I went to get in my purse and told my husband that I was gonna hand it to them...I felt bad for them. He told me firmly not to. He said it would embarrass them. He said if it were him, he wouldn't want someone offering him money. Maybe he's right, but I felt like I was doing a nice thing. I didn't end up offering it because I DIDN'T want to embarrass them. What would you have done?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 11:12 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I would have helped out. Man I could have used someone like you today! I was short a DIME today when I went grocery shopping. I told the cashier, um I have to go out to my car to get a dime, and there were people all around that didn't offer me one. Not that I was expecting it but I sure would have given someone ten measley cents so they wouldn't have to go all the way out to their car. Actually one time I went to Walgreens and I had just gotten a new debit card and it wasn't set up right so it kept declining and I really needed diapers, so the lady behind me paid for them and I wrote her a check. I thought that was so sweet of her...and trusting.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:16 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• i would have and i have before helped people out in that situation.... and if i were them i wouldn't be embarrassed i would be grateful
    joycegina

Answer by joycegina at 11:13 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I would have given them money, or at least offered.
    Anonymous

• I would and I have done so. To me, he's short on cash for the moment. Doesn't mean he cannot afford his groceries.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:14 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I've done it many times... It makes me feel good to help people out. I could see how it might embarass someone but I'll leave that up to them.
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 11:14 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I would have done it to. It would be more embarassing to figure out what you were buying that you can't afford to keep.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 11:15 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Next time, I'm not listening to my husband. I've done it a few times before, when I was alone. I guess guys are different, though. I can kind of see where it might make a guy feel worse to take it than a woman. From now on, I'm offering it regardless, lol. I thought about it all day, wishing I had!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:15 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I have done it before and the person was really grateful. I've also been that person in line that was short money and had the people behind me look at me like I was the scum of the earth. I was 20 years old, had just started a job, hadn't gotten paid yet and was literally scraping pennies together to buy bread and peanut butter to sustain me for a week. I think I was something like a quarter short. Luckily, the cashier was a sweetheart and covered me while the bitch behind me huffed over it.
    Anonymous

• anon at :16, one day it'll happen to the chic that huffed and she'll hopefully learn to be a better person.
    Anonymous

• I do it all the time.. normally though its only change. I did it once while I was working at wendys....while ago... and these kids were short on cash, my boss also comped part of their meal as well.

I have been lucky enough to never have it happen to me personally, since i was a kid at least...im always paranoid about not having the cash so I always make sure im under my limit or what not.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:25 PM on Jun. 13, 2010