my 5 yr old son cry's too easy is there something I can do about this

I cry easy myself and have an anxiety disorder. Could my son have the same thing? We went to a family function and he cried because there wasn't any kids and everybody else seemed like giants....I did something I never do! I told him he could have a can of soda and then sit with dad. Well the sugar and caffiene kicked in and he found some courage to roam around.
Every time we go wheres theres alot of people or where I have to raise my voice he breaks down in sobs.
I really don't want this to happen at school..kids can be butt heads even in the kindergarten and down the road in future grades.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Some kids are just sensitive and you have to let them adjust at their own pace. Can i ask, does he seem exceptionaly smart? Some info my DD's school gave us stated that advanced children are overly sensitive. My DD (5 almost 6) is advanced and is SUPER sensitive.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 11:21 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Some kids are just sensitive, when's his birthday? It could be crowds he doesn't like, that's common. Chances are, with more socialization, he'll outgrow it for the most part. He's still pretty young and Kindergarten will help with this...he'll also get support from his peers in K which will help him.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:30 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• huh....well that explains my daughter. Who'da thunk it, lol. Thanks SoniaL
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 11:30 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• op here------
    my son does seem to be smart, you can give him any math problem and he rolls his eyes like he is thinking, then pops out the right answer! he knows how to read so yeah maybe he is just sensitive
    Anonymous

• My daughter was very sensitive, very shy, cried easily and she has a high IQ. The smarter the kid, the more sensitive. BUT they do outgrow it and shine in school!!!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:39 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• My 5 year old ds is super sensitive as well. I'm hoping it's just a phase, as he hasn't always been like that.
    This evening, he was playing outside with neighbor kids. Well, suddenly he came home crying super hard. I thought maybe someone had been mean or he got hurt. When he settled down enough to talk, I found out he was upset because the other 3 kids he was playing with decided to walk down to another kid's house and he isn't allowed to go that far without me. He was sad that they went and left him at at the house they'd been at...but at least he obeyed my rules of where he can or cannot go!
    JonesMama

Answer by JonesMama at 1:47 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• even for a sensitive child, they can cope better with the proper amount of sleep, so be sure this is not an issue.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:21 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Your child will out grow this . Give him time and lots of love and attention.
    vanillapie

Answer by vanillapie at 8:19 PM on Jul. 9, 2010