If one spouse is buried, but the other is cremated, can the urn be buried next to the casket?

I know it's a little morbid, but I didn't know which category to put this in so I chose spirituality. I know spouses are buried next to each other all the time, but if one is cremated can the urn be buried next to the spouse's casket?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't know why not? In it's own plot
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 11:54 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Yes. Both of my Maternal Grandparents were cremated, but they were burried next to each other in the same cemetary. The plot is simply to put the remains, whether they're cremated or not. All you have to do is make arrangements with the cemetary director to let them know the size of the Urn, so they can dig the hole accordingly.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:03 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• If the cremated spouse goes first can you just stick them together in one casket?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• If you have already purchased two plots s x s, I don't see any reason why you can't. If you have not purchased both plots, sometimes if there is enough room, you can put the urn at the foot of the casket or at the head of the casket but not in the casket. They can't open a casket once it's sealed & buried without going thru legal. This will save you money. Each cemetary has there own rules, so you would need to speak to the cemetary about it.. Also, some cemetaries would want an urn vault, which the urn would be placed in, You may need to consider size depending on space available. I would definetely speak to the cemetery and find out what there regulations are. Good Luck.
    Shophealthy

Answer by Shophealthy at 12:55 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• If I were put in that position, I would want to see if there was a way to put (for example) my Urn *ON* his headstone...
    Headstones can be changed how ever the family wants... So IDK if there is laws forbidding it, but i think it would be nice to have the burial plot, and then the headstone with the Urn beside it or ontop of it (kinda like were maybe flowers could go but except it would be a sealed urn there..
    It would save money on the extra plot! Those things are expensive!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 1:45 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I dont know if it could be buried or not, but our family had a bench made as my dads headstone and then his father and brother's ashes were but in the headstone. My mom will be buried in a casket on top of my dad ( they call it double depth) and my grandmother will be cremated and added to the bench.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:23 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Yes- my grandmother's ash interment will take place next month (when she died it was too cold to do the burial as the ground was frozen.) Her ashes are being buried at the foot of my grandfather's grave.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:44 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• You can also have a grave marker even if your ashes aren't buried in the plot.
    FrogSalad

Answer by FrogSalad at 8:20 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Yes.

My grandfather wanted to be cremated, so my grandmother honored his wishes. She kept his ashes in an urn on top of the grandfather clock he bought her for one of their anniversaries. After about a year she realized that she needed "a place for him" with her since she wants to be buried in the cemetary where many of our relatives are buried. She bought a plot and headstone with their family name and his name and date of birth and death on one side and her name and date of birth on the other. When she passes she will be buried there. She scattered some of his ashes there on the gravesite. The remainder are still in the urn.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:37 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Yes. Although you may be required to pay for a second plot if you are going to put them both on the headstone. If only one's name is on the headstone and you just want to keep them together I would simply bury the urn...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:07 PM on Jun. 14, 2010