I would like to know if anyone has an idea of when fertility returns after child bith?

So recentlly my son was born and I asked my doctor when fertility returns and he told me that he could predict that that all people are different.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Health

• Between 2 weeks and 2 years... Depends on breast feeding, genetics, hormones, diet... Everyone is different.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:14 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• It depends. For women who don't breastfeed, usually within a couple of months. If you breastfeed, it could be a couple of years. With my 1st, I had normal cycles starting at 5 weeks post-partum, and I could've gotten pregnant on the first one. With my 2nd, while I had fairly regular cycles starting at 5 weeks, I wasn't fertile again until 13 months.

Generally speaking, if you're having periods, you can consider yourself fertile, unless you have other ways of knowing otherwise. But since you ovulate approximately 2 weeks before a period, it's possible to get pregnant again without having a period. So there's really no telling.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:26 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• For me, I got pregnant again about two months after my daughter was born. Still don't remember having sex though. :-(
    I thought my period had came back and that's what the bleeding was. But, then it got really heavy, a lot of clumps and clots and I was cramping sooooo bad, I swear it felt like I had a sumo wrestler was standing on my belly. I went to my doctor and he told me I was pregnant and miscarrying. I really shouldn't have gone. So, you don't really have to have the periods to get pregnant, it's not very common but it does happen.
    By the way, I formula fed.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 10:29 AM on Jun. 14, 2010