For mommies of reflux babies, I have a question about after your started solids.

The pediatrician diagnosed my DD with reflux and asthma at 5 weeks old when she was hospitalized with RSV. He said the RSV caused the reflux and asthma. She was EBF and he put her on Prevacid which helped a lot. She stopped taking the Prevacid at 4 months old because the reflux improved a lot. She would only spit up once a day and it was just a small amount. She is now almost 6 months and I started solids and she is now spitting up after every meal, breast milk or solids, and it smells very soured even if she just ate.

Did your reflux babies get worse after you introduced solids? Any advice? She has a dr appt on the 25th.

ThrivingMom

Asked by ThrivingMom at 12:06 AM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my daughter had reflux pretty bad. She only started improving with the spitup around 10.5 months and then went away at 11.5 months. She was on meds till 6 months, but the only thing the meds did was make it not hurt when it came up. It didnt change like get better or get worse when we started solids, it just made big orange stains on my carpet. In time, it will get better and than one day it will just stop. Good Luck.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 12:17 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• my dd has been on meds for this her whole life and she is turning 7 next month. Yes, it has gotten worse, but for us she has other underlying medical issues. . . but the prevacid has been great for her. and yes, after introducing solids hers got worse and her dosing had to be upped.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• My son's got better after solids. It may have just been a coincidence, but I think the solids helped.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:34 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I agree with LovingSAHMommy. My daughter got much better after solids and atter she was mobile. Good luck!
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 12:43 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• 2 out of 3 of my kiddos have had reflux it normally goes away after they r t6 mos but sumtimes it doesnt my 5 y/o still has it and has since she was 2 weeks old and all 3 have/are ebf when say are its cuz im stil ebf my 22 week old
    angelluvgoddess

Answer by angelluvgoddess at 1:19 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• My son's only got worse. It wasn't really much of an issue when he was nursing, because it was just bmilk but with the introduction of solids his clothes, bibs, burp cloths, etc started getting stained. I asked the dr and they put him on zantac for a period of time.

Answer by missanc at 10:48 AM on Jun. 14, 2010