Running out of Breastmilk? (PIOG)

How where you able to tell when your milk was going out, so to say?

I just recently had my first period and lately I've been noticing how DS still seems hungry after I breast feed him, even if it's on both sides. Tonight I had to give him an extra couple ounces of formula since he started crying and reaching for my chest, but had shown obvious signs of being done while at the breast. Oh and he usually only gets a couple ounces of formula while I'm at work if he starts acting hungry after having cereal.

Any help would be wonderful, I do still want to continue breastfeeding but if it's gone or going then I'm not going to fight it either.

Oh and DS is 7 months old.

Jessie1689

Asked by Jessie1689 at 12:37 AM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When my 2 oldest weaned themselfs my breast hurt and was really engorged..and when your period returns yes your milk supply will drop but pick back up and your milk might have a different taste to it when your on your period as well
    angelluvgoddess

Answer by angelluvgoddess at 1:04 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I pumped while I worked just to maintain my milk supply...It does wonders
    you can even try pumping a bit in between feedings just to get an extra flow
    subbing with formula is just going to make the situation worse because that is breastmilk not used, KWIM

FENUGREEK can help increase your supply, 3pills 3times a day....I noticed results in 2 days :)
    Also, make sure you are drinking as much water as you drank when you were pregnant

One more thing, as our LO's get older our boobs don't feels as FULL so I know that can be a worry, trust that there is still milk, and also keepin in mind the growth spurts baby had around 1.5mos 3 mos etc, well baby still has those where he is increasing his feeding to prep you for his next stage.

**By this point you should try giving him/her home made baby food, rice cereal, in all honestly, is not important to your babies diet at all, compare it to having a bowl of veggies and a bowl of rice
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:04 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• also, FENUGREEK is completely natural, herbal, safe for you and baby
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:05 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• if all he is getting is cereal, he might be ready for more solids. If you want to delay solids further then you need to boost your supply, which means nursing as much as possible, pumping when you can't nurse and being sure to stay hydrated. I haven't tried any supplements, like fenugreek, but I've heard more than a few women recommend it.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:06 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• your milk is on a supply and demand basis. So when you are giving formula (not bashing at all) then your boobs are slowly cutting back on making milk for the baby.

If you nurse more, your boobs will make more naturally.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:18 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• and ive noticed my milk is slowing down (actually tonight i noticed for sure lol) because i went to squeeze milk out ...idk why... and nothing came out.

HOWEVER my daughter is 16 months and only nurses like once or twice a day for 10 min. so the demand is not like it used to be its a lot less, therefore my body isnt making as much because its thinking it doesnt need to make as much as it used to.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:20 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• This is what worked for me when I was having supply issues:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:27 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• like the last two posters said, nurse more. you may want to let your baby just suck...even if it feels like you are empty. the sucking will tell your body to make more milk.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:14 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I completely second this: "your milk is on a supply and demand basis. So when you are giving formula (not bashing at all) then your boobs are slowly cutting back on making milk for the baby. "

When you are home, no more formula, just breast or you will slowly dry up. When you're at work, you need to pump 1 or 2 times.

If he is hungry after nursing try putting him to the breast again instead of giving a bottle. Sometimes my baby eats off one side, then the other and still seems hungry so I put her back on the first breast hoping there is enough milk and there always is.

Also, your period has nothing to do with it. I BF my first baby for nearly 18 months and my periods were very regular starting just 6 weeks post partum. I BF my 2nd for 11 months and also had a regular period the entire time.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:20 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• It is normal to have a drop in supply around the time of your period. It is temporary and you just need to nurse more frequently for a few days to help bring it back up and make sure baby is getting enough. If baby is still hungry after both sides, offer him the first side again (and the second side again, and again if you need to). Your body is always producing milk. If you give formula (or pull milk from the freezer) at this point it will only make your supply go down more.
    Just hang in there and keep nursing, avoid supplements, and your supply will meet his demand!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:33 PM on Jun. 14, 2010