Does the ice cream truck come to your neighborhood? Wwyd if one kid never had any money?

The ice cream truck comes here almost every day. Problem is, there are a lot of kids in our complex, they usually all get treats...but one girl (9) rarely has money. She expects other people to just pay for her every time. She begs other kids as young as 4 to give her some of their money, hints to me, whines, cries, demands $ from people, etc. When someone buys her something, she never says thank you. Once she repeatedly tried to convince ds to get the 2pack of those crayon popsicles so she could have one. I told him to get whatever he wanted and he got something else for himself. When she does have money, she won't share with the other kids. I don't mind treating another kid once in a while, but it's annoying that she asks/hints/whines and expects to get it every time.
As a parent, wouldn't you wonder how your kid is getting treats when you don't give her money? I would never let ds ask others for $ all the time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Jun. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• Next time tell her to get money from her parents.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:23 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• SaraP: I do tell her that. She says her mom doesn't have it. So I tell her to go ask her cousin, sister, or grandma. They either can't afford it or won't give it to her. A lot of times the mom can't afford $1 until she gets paid again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I would tell her that I don't have any more money. Make sure not to come out of your house with anymore than what you need to get your son a treat. This way if she thinks you are lying you can show her that you only have enough for your son.

Sorry but that is the best advice I can give, Good luck!
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 1:35 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Than she doesn't need ice cream. Talk to the mom. It's hard to ignore a little girl but she doesn't need ice cream everyday anyway.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:36 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• when my kids were young we had an ice cream truck come around....the kid that acted like that was the kid that was ignored and told to come back with money.....
    Now that was some time ago and if it were to happen now, today in this neighborhood I would ask the child "can you tell me where your manners are" ? "because that is what you need to find, if you want to have people help you, get some ice cream. come back tomorrow and if you have some, manners with you and you use them then I will get you something"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:36 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• If my kid always had treats and they weren't from me I'd dig into why. I'm for the most part always there though so I know.

As far as what to do with the icecream truck. I'd say you need to go ask your mom for money. She does it because it works for her 8=9 out of ten times. So why would she bother to go ask mom/dad if she knows she has a better chance with you all?

Also I like to buy my own ice cream treats at the store and once every 2 weeks or so i'd buy from the truck. Making it a not an everyday treat. So then you wouldn't run into that girl so much.
    Skepticchick

Answer by Skepticchick at 1:50 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I know it sucks because you don't want the kid to go with out a treat other kids get to have just because of the parents, but if you don't want to buy any more for her you will either have to reject her or ignore her, or both
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:50 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• That's why I just buy a bucket of ice cream or the jumbo pack
    Just tell her you don't mind buying her ice cream but there will come a day where she will have to some Day pay back she can not have this understanding it is not always going to be this easy be the role model mom. Or just say I have enough for my kid. I mean if u can tell kids r using u that is when u stop being generous GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:55 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Ok, I think you should get her something. Poor girl. Put yourself in her shoes. Only child without a treat.

That being said. I avoid ice cream trucks. I am the mean Mom I refuse to give. $$ for my kids. I can't help but think these guys are child molesters. Sorry, but it's true. Trying to lure our children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• The Ice Cream Man comes by our house 3 times a day. Alot of the kids around me can't afford it. But the guy who drives the truck will give out those $1 ice creams/popcicles once a day around noon. I think its great he does that for the kids.
    Apple_Pie2010

Answer by Apple_Pie2010 at 2:16 AM on Jun. 14, 2010