At what age would you let your child have sleepovers? What about boy-girl sleepovers when they are little?

Ds is 5, and is dying to have some of the neighbor kids sleep over. I'm fine with it on a weekend (since dh has to get up early for work M-F mornings). The kids he wants to invite are 4, 6, and 8.
The 4 and 8 year olds are girls...since they're so young, I don't really have a problem with it. I figure they'd all watch movies, etc., then ds and the other boy could sleep upstairs in ds room and I could have the girls sleep down in the living room on the sofa bed. Wdyt? At what ages would you stop boy-girl sleepovers?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Jun. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would be fine with it if I knew the children and their parent's. If the other parent's are okay with it too then go for it, they are young. I would think that the time to stop boy girl sleepovers is when your son or any of the children you are inviting show an "interest" in the opposite sex. Honestly, though if it were a 6 year old crush I would still allow the sleepover. I'm guessing around the pre-teen age is when it should end, when they realize what a relationship could entail.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 1:32 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Thanks, imamommmyyy.
    I think we'll go for it this Friday night. I want to make it great since it's his first sleepover. I'll have dh grill dinner, we'll make s'mores, give everyone jars to catch fireflies, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Not sure but get it started first and go from there I would say 12
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• My 5 y/o started doing sleep overs at age 3 but it was with close family friends (people she refers to as aunt and uncle) she went to a friends house for her first official sleep over at age 4, but her firend who was the same age was not ready to come to our house to sleep. Her friend doesnt do well away from home at night yet. It really depends on the child. You could always try it and see how it goes just be ready to call mom or dad to pick them up if they cant make it the night and then try again in a few months.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:04 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• We dont do sleepovers My bff as well as several nieghbors were molested at sleep overs better safe than scarred IMO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:05 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I think it depends on the maturity level of the child and how well you know the other children. I don't particularly like any of the neighborhood kids and they're all at least 3 years older than my girls - except two boys. Also my girls are at that age where they want to show off to their friends and I doubt they'd listen well when I tell them it's bedtime when they have a friend over. The only people they have sleep overs with are their cousins or close friends; last week they spent a night with my best friend of 12 years - her two girls are close in age with my two girls and they've known each other since they were born.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I think we started having sleepovers at around 6. I don't really believe in co-ed sleepovers though. I mean, I guess we had them to some extent when i was a kid, but only because i was a girl and had a brother, so when his friends would come, there would be boys in the house, and vice versa, if I had friends over... But I remember my brother and my friend kissing for a game of truth or dare when they were about 9, and when i was about 15 one of my friends actually had sex with one of my brothers friends in our living room after everyone else had gone to sleep. I always thought my mom was so strict, but looking back, i can't believe she ever let me and my bro have sleepovers at the same time when we were in HS. So, yeah. I guess at 4-5 it's not a big deal, but then you may run into the problem of, "But billy used to sleep over all the time when we were 5, why can't he now that we're 12?"
    earthmama727

Answer by earthmama727 at 3:51 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I am over protective of my babies and I probably won't let them have sleepovers with friends until they are at least 8, if not older. As for boy/girl, I would say that depends on the age but really it depends on the child too. My soon-to-be stepson shouldn't be trusted with that, at any age! lol!
    biebermommy

Answer by biebermommy at 4:36 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• i'm a little over protective too. I don't think i would let my son sleep over until around 8..maybe older. He does spend the night with family and has since a couple of months old but idk about friends. I just recently allowed him to be dropped off at a bday party for 2 hours alone. He is 5. He had a lot of fun but i was very nervous about not being there.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:37 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I never allowed boy/girl sleep overs. My dd was 3 when she had her first sleep over and it was with a very good friend not a neighbor. Good luck desiding wht to do...

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Jun. 14, 2010