Christians: Burial after someone dies?

Im just curious what the bible says about being buried?
Should Christians be burried?
What does the bible say about being cremated? Is that OK? Or no?

My thought is Id rather be cremated. I dont want to take up a space in the earth forever. I dont want my family to have the burden of caring for my grave years after Im gone, or the guilt of not visiting/caring for my grave. When Im dead I want them to remember for what I left on this earth- memories, pictures, video, whatever... Not a plot to care for & visit. I dont care if they spread my ashes somewhere or keep me in a vase in the attic either..
BUT.... Is this all OK under the bible? Or do we have certain rules to follow?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• In the early days of the Christian Church and throughout the middle ages Cremation was seen as a "Pagan Practice" and was outlawed in most parts of the Christian world. However, there is really no biblical reason for this other than to separate ones self from the practices of other religious groups. Today cremation, burial or cryogenic preservation have nothing to do with religious beliefs but more to do with the beliefs and wishes of the deceased and their family.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:09 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• YOu can be cremated. The bible says nothing about it as far as I am aware and doesn't have anything to do with the afterlife.
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 1:36 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I kinda think like you I wouldn't want to leave my family with a debt to pay my burial, cremation is a lot cheaper but when it comes down to it I just might change my mind but how can I if I am gone....lol just the thought of it makes me idk...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• If you don't want a financial burden on your family, donate your body to science. It's totally free. And once you are dead, your spirit goes to heaven and your "earthly vessel" is empty and there really aren't any new testament rules regarding the disposal.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 9:45 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I'm undecided about this and organ donation when I die. Tough question. Blessings..

Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 12:32 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Most Christians are buried, I think this has more to do with tradition. This is changing and more Christians are being cremated now.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:43 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Your body is just a house for your soul. Once you die, what happens to that house isn't anywhere as important as what happens to your soul before you die.

Whether you are cremated or buried or donate your organs or not has no impact on your faith. However, personally I am for organ donation, because once I'm gone and have no need for my body, why shouldn't it be used to save someone else? What a wonderful thing - to give life to someone else. But then, my cousin had a liver transplant when he was 2, so....
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:45 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• personally i think it is ok.think of all the people who have burned in their homes,or the christian marters who were burned.
    Anonymous