my nephew is 10 weeks old, and my sister has taken him to the doctor 3 times for his poop ...or lack of

hes gone 12 days without pooping, and 10 days and 9 days. his pediatrician is referring them to a gastroenterologist. His pedi told my sister to give him, pedialyte if it gets bad again, and to give him 2 oz of apple juice every other day...

anybody have any ideas of what this could be?? :) Thanks

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:26 AM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's a good thing they're going to a GI doctor. I don't think giving juice right now is good - the digestive system is NOT ready for the sugars. I'd be giving a baby miralax before giving juice, long before. My daughter had issues pooping (100% breastfed) from day two - she did one meconium poop and then didn't go again for 10 days. It was brushed off for a LOOONG time. I wish we'd have been referred to a ped GI doctor. As it was, she has hypotonia (weak muscle tone) so her body physically can't move the food through her system very fast. So while she didn't have HARD poop, she never had that normal BF poop either. Has your sister tried eliminating dairy from her diet? That helped a LOT with my DDs constipation issues.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 4:04 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• This doesn't sound like it's good so your sister needs to stay and go to all the appointments. Something maybe blocking the digestive to have go poop. Just wait till she see this specailist and then go from there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• She is, she is in the process of getting the specialist approved through insurance and all that. However, she is worried about it. It's sad. hes a little guy and in distress :(
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:36 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Is he in pain? Is he on formula or breastmilk? When my youngest was a newborn she would go a very long time without having a bm (once for 2 weeks), but it was because she was breastfeeding and breastmilk is adsorbed more than formula. When she did finally have a bm it was EVERYWHERE, complete blowouts. She wasn't in any pain though. I was very worried at first too.

I hope it's something simple and easily fixed. I can imagine your sister is terrified. A sick baby always is always scary. Huge hugs to the both of you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• it is uncomfortable to him, hell whine and cry and his belly will hurt him. he is just bf but its not normal BF newborn poop. its not HARD but not normal.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:44 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I told my sister she shouldn't do that juice. and probably not, but ill let her know that! That's a good idea. Sounds like what your daughter had is pretty similar to my nephews. What ended up happening with it?
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:06 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• i was told that if they are still eating, and are breast fed that it is not a problem. a pediatrician told us she had a patient that went every 2 weeks her whole first year. that was her normal.
    if the baby seems to be in pain and
    if she is giving vitamins, i would talk to the dr. about cutting them out. if she is formula feeding, she should consider one without iron added, or an easily digestable formula. i would not try juice or pedialyte for such a young baby.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:08 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Can I ask how his poo is not "normal"? BF babies can go weeks without a BM. It's so easily and completely digested that there is usually very little waste to eliminate. My DD was like that. She'd go about every week or so...and now at 22 months old (no longer BF) she goes THREE times a day! lol.

His tummy pain and discomfort could also be related to something in your sisters diet. Has she tried eliminating dairy?

At any rate, i'm glad she's getting to a pediatric GI. Hopefully it's not anything serious!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:25 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• It IS good to get this checked out, but I know that EBF babies over about 6 weeks old can go like, 2 weeks without a bowel movement, as long as when they DO go, it is not, dry, hard, pellet like stool. If it is, there is a problem. If it isn't, it is likely that this is normal.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:40 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• the iron in vitamin drops can make babies constipated. My dd was going 5 days or more when we started them and when we stopped she was back to her normal every day (most of the time, she skips a day now and then) within a week. Apple juice is ok, but won't likely help much. I tried it with no luck, if it works for you though that's great. With the pedialyte, it doesn't take a whole lot and I would mix it 50/50 with water, just like you would juice. You could also try prune juice or prune puree if he's ready for solids. Also, glycerine suppositories work. Have the peditrician show you how to use it though so it doesn't hurt the LO.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:41 PM on Jun. 14, 2010