Okay ladies, I want to wean my daughter off the breast, and need some methods of how other mothers have done it.

My daughter is 16 months, methods please?? :) Thanks!!

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:52 AM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I never breastfed, but some of my friends just waited for them to wean themselves. Other friends started cutting back and giving them a sippy cup. Good luck!
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 3:01 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I only did child lead weaning. Some of the tricks I have heard of are cutting out feedings, some moms cut back by one feeding every few days. You can try redirecting your child and giving them a cup. If its a comfort feeding then find a blanket or stuffed animal and give that to them while you cuddle.

Most breastfed babies crave the skin on skin contact so be prepared that it could take a while for a blanket to replace the skin contact for comfort.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:58 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Well i only nurse at night now, and sometimes she won't even do that. Sometimes she'll just fall asleep without it. She has picked a teddy bear out that she takes every and loves and sleeps with. I don't know how to cut out the last feeding which is at night. just suddenly do it or what??

i've thought about child lead weaning, but i really don't want to be nursing another year from now or however long. I feel like 16 months is a good time
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:03 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• oh ill try giving her a sippy cup, however she won't drink it at night time ill only put water in there. no juice or milk. we don't give her milk and she only gets juice once in a while.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:04 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Like I said I never breastfed so take my advice for what it's worth but I would just stop. That's what I did with the bottle. I just quit giving it to my kids and eventually they got used to it. It took a while for them to stop asking for it, though.
    I think 16 months is a good age too. A friend of mine breastfed her kid until he was 5! Crazy, but then again not my kid, not my business.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 3:08 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• rkoloms

Answer by rkoloms at 6:17 AM on Jun. 14, 2010