I'm thinking about getting a female roomate to help out with some of the bills.

We are a family of four but have an extra bedroom. We never use it and it would be nice to take in some extra money every month. I'm just looking for a female college student, someone who is serious about her studies and not a party animal. Would it be strange to have a roommate when we are a family? She would have her own room, bathroom and garage stall, but would not have her own entryway and we would have to share a kitchen and washer and dryer.

theutilitarian

Asked by theutilitarian at 2:58 AM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I know two girls personally who you would never see, they would just be in their room and then you would see them every now and then in your kitchen. You wouldn't get an ounce of drama or even contact really and as long as you stayed out of their space they would stay out of yours. They are my SIL and step-sister and those are their personalities. Just saying, it's possible. Both of those women are adults and still live with parents (go to school and have jobs, but generally happy just to stay in their rooms on computer). You'd have to get to know them and their previous landlord, but it's not impossible to find someone with that personality.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 3:34 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• That's not strange at all, but its so hard living with someone, even if they are not a party animal and have their head on straight. Think about their hygiene and cleanliness We had a roommate that was a girl and the cleaning was HORRIBLE.. .she was disrespectful brought her boyfriend over all the time we could hear them having sex. She would lay around in the living room day and night her room was disgustingly messy which i understand its her room and she was paying rent, but it was hard to take that in and accept it when it is my house. lol
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:07 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Ugh! You know, I'm having a few beers right now. Maybe my thought process will be a little more clear tommorrow:) You brought up some great points. Thanks.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 3:18 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• lol!! :) Glad I could help! :) have fun tonight drink one for me!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:19 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• You are taking a brave step. Let us know how this works out for you. I can't live with someone that is not part of my family. Just like the last post said you never know what you get till she gets there. If you think you gonna find someone that is just gonna chill in there room and be in and out and see them ever once in while when there in the kitchen your crazy you also want to make sure that you have someone that is cool with children and that they will respect you and your chiuld. Once you get someone under your roof and they pay you rent it is hard to get them gone legally if your not happy. GL it may just be worth having that room empty
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• " If you think you gonna find someone that is just gonna chill in there room and be in and out and see them ever once in while when there in the kitchen your crazy "

Anon this is exactly what I was thinking/hoping for! Not going to happen, hey? I'll be sober tommorrow:) Thanks for your input!
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 3:27 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• You're a mother, could be the sweetest woman on earth and still have to unleash 'mama bear' on college student for having selfish tendencies because she's... A young single college student with little responsibility and doesn't understand "how the house hold works", until the day comes that she is a mommy herself.
    Nothing is wrong with wanting extra cash each month. The economy sucks and you still have babies to take care of. I have a bad feeling About the roomate thing though, that's a whole new can of worms when I'm sure you have your own problems. Sorry if I sound "Debby downer" but I just want to tell ya like I see it. :)

there are so many options when it comes to bringing in income and doesn't involve inviting strangers into the home.

I work from home and love it! Do what you love. As mothers we sacrafic enough as it is! ;)
    leme know if you need anything. I know what it's like to lose sleep over bills!

God bless you!
    BrittsArbonne

Answer by BrittsArbonne at 3:32 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• even studious people have friends and want to invite them over... then again i freakin hate living with people. my daughter does too - she has tried a few scenarios and is now living by herself. with all those kids just making laundry arrangements could be really trying... never mind different kitchen habits. i just see this as begging for stress, but that's just me - again i hate living with other people. you might just take that extra room and turn it into an office or craft space for an extra cash project.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 8:28 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I wouldn't invite another woman into my home with my husband, period. Maybe I'm weird, but I just don't think that's a good idea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Jun. 14, 2010