Does your child play soccer? hate it or love it? Why?

LavenderRose10

Asked by LavenderRose10 at 3:59 AM on Jun. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• Both my kids play soccer. They LOVE it. They're 17 (ds) and 16 (dd), and have played for yrs, and both play for their high school team. It's pretty funny, because my ds is really tall, and my dd is pretty petite, but both play goal keeper :-)

It's a great sport for a cardio workout, as well as the fact that it's very fast paced, so you really have to work as a team and communicate out there.

The down side is that people watch all these little kids play (when they're still very cute and playing "herd ball") and they think that it's a nice, not too aggressive, non contact sport. That is SO not true (lol - as you can see, watching World Cup) - with the older, more competitive ages. Just this yr my dd got her wrist broken (not during a game - they were messing around and she went to smack a ball out, and it caught her hand bad.) and our ds got his nose broken (dove on a ball and took cleats to the face).
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:33 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• soccer is gay
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:01 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I played soccer as a kid, k-6 grade, I had fun with it. DD is only 2 now but if she wants to play when she's a little older that would be cool, but I'm really hoping she'll be into ice hockey like DH and I :) Of course she can do both though.

To the person that says soccer is gay... it's the number one sport in the world, if you feel that way you must just be terrible at it lol.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 4:31 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• you actually called a childs game gay? WOW! My child plays and I l;ove it because it teaches sportsmanship, socialization, and is a healthy exta-cirricular!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:30 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• My oldest played till she hit middle school then was offered field hockey. My 2nd child never had an interest in any sports...

Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 9:22 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• My kids play and love it. Yes thy are still young and it is still cute little kid game at this point, but the couch had to be my youngest dd partner when they practice stealing. Watching the grown up games she thinks she should play like the adults.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:31 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• DD tried it when she was 5. She played 2 seasons and then quit. It wasn't her thing. She started karate at 8 and has enjoyed it for 2 years now.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:16 PM on Jun. 14, 2010