How long can a newborn sleep in a bassinet?

Hey ladies.
I'm due on Halloween but we will be living for about 3 months after the birth of our child in a kinda small apartment, so i was wondering if newborns can sleep in a bassinet until maybe 4 months?

psychobilly_mom

Asked by psychobilly_mom at 4:04 AM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Four months is probably fine, as long as she's not able to move around much at that point. My daughter was in a basinett until she was over 12 months, but she was really tiny and disabled, so that wasn't an issue.

My son was a big boy and we had him in the basinett of the pack and play until four months, easy.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 4:06 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• what type of bassinet are you referring to? The pac n play i would say yes, it converts and its deeper and bigger.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:08 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I'm sure it depends on the bassinet. There is probably a weight limit... or in our pack n play it said until they can sit up...
    earthmama727

Answer by earthmama727 at 4:18 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• until you know, you cant ever put a time limit on things now, you will find out when you get there and you will be great at figuring it out!!!
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 4:25 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I think it depends on the bassinet and the size of your baby.My first baby slept there for a month only.After that things got too uncomfortable.My 2nd baby was smallish for her age and slept ther till she was 5 months.You'll see.
    MyrMar

Answer by MyrMar at 4:31 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• My daughter slept in her bassinet until she learned how to sit up. After that I thought it was a little too dangerous for her to be in it.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 7:40 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• All bassinets come with a weight limit so just follow that. My kids never stayed in it past 12-14 weeks.
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 8:08 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• till they can roll over! If they are rolling over it is very dangerous!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:25 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• The bassinet that we had, the legs came off and I would set the "bed" part on the floor if the baby started to turn over. We had a newborn foster child that slept in the bassinet until about 3 months, then moved to crib in our room because we knew she was leaving & we wanted to acclimate her to sleeping in a crib. BUT, if you can put the bassinet on the floor, you should be fine.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 8:57 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• They usually outgrow a bassinet at around 3 months. I have small babies and none of mine could stay in it until 4 months. A portable crib, however, they could stay in until a year or a year and a half and it folds up for storage. Here is the one I have. My baby still uses it and she's 6 months old.

ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:29 AM on Jun. 14, 2010