should i just let my soon to be three year old keep her binky till she gives it up on her own? or should i take it away? she only uses it for bed, but she is in love with it! i just had a baby and i kinda dont want to deal with the freak out at nap and bed time. also do think binkys can ruin their adult teeth when they come in?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 AM on Jun. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• This wouldn't be a good time to take it away. She is already under stress because of the new baby. Give it a while now. You may even mention casually from time to time about how much babies like their binkies but that they would grow out of them when they were older.

Answer by Bmat at 7:20 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I don't know when you want to take it away. I found out that the hard way. When I took my 3 y/o to the dentist and was shown how her teeth bowed out I went home and threw them out. This did not work. So I then gathered them all up and took them to the mall dumpster.
    She did not sleep for three days in a row. I did not sleep either. Yeah it is a pain but you have to do it at some point. I look at it this way they cry from shots but they are for the best. Same lots of stuff. I can't blame you for waiting it is difficult yet has to be done sometime. Only you and your s/o have to make the simple choice when to do it.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 7:24 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I would cut off the top of it. She will give it up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:32 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Take it away from the baby before he or she is old enough to ask for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• my son had the binky until 2 ..for awhile we started only letting him have the binky during bed or naptime..we did this for a few weeks and then we cut off the tops and we told him that bc he got too big for them they broke..for some reason this worked and he gave them up..there was a few days that he wanted them but then he got over it.. i saw this great thing on supernanny awhile ago where they put the binkys in an envelope and put it in the mailbox for the "pacifairy" so she could give them to other babies and ala the tooth fairy in the morning she put glitter and confetti and toys inside my son was too young for that but ur daughter seems liek a good age to try it..good luck i know its hard...
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 8:15 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• pacifiers can cause teeth to be crooked, plus it is just a crutch! Personally I never even give one to my children it is part of my birthplan! I tell nurses not to, that way they can learn to self sooth! But each their own! I would take it tho! 3 is pretty old.
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:21 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• i agree with the first poster. iwould wait until the whole family is adjusted to the baby, then deal with it. she could give all her pacis to the paci fairy. i think it helps if the kids get rid of them.
    my brother had his paci for 3 years and has straight teeth, so i wouldn't worry about the teeth.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:01 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Tell her the pasi fairy came and took it when she was sleeping like the tooth fairy takes the teeth. Good luck...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I too agree with firist poster,, but you could tell her the new baby needs the binky,,,tell her the binky fairy needs them for little kids to use,, the binky fairy then leaves a nice doll or whatever she likes.. if it doesn't work don't stress on it,,,our dentist says it isn't a big deal until 5 or so,,, congrats on the new baby!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:12 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I think it will be rough at first but she will eventually get over it. She is at the age where it could really effect her teeth and she could ahve serious problems down the road. I would take it and deal with the drama for a little bit, she is waayyy to old for a paci!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Jun. 14, 2010