Relactating?

Have any of you done this? My son is almost four months old. I can't stop feeling guilty about formula feeding. I stopped because I was put on Zoloft, but can't you do both? My OB said not to because there aren't long term studies on it. I would stop to do what's best for him though.

acurran88

Asked by acurran88 at 8:30 AM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• kellymom.com is where i went for any breast feeding info..good luck!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 8:31 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• yes kellymom has a link to medications and their lactation warning levels.
    alotta_fagina

Answer by alotta_fagina at 10:48 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• well first you have to try to put baby to breast, i recommend a nipple shield in case your ds doesnt latch on.also get a sns. is a nursing system or you can meke one yourself. you tube has videos on making one. pump pump pump. every 2 hrs for 15 mts longer is better lots of fluids. water makes milk. get mothers milk tea if tou cnat find that, then get fernugreek. also eat oatmeal. but most important put baby to breast.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:10 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Zoloft is the SSRI of choice for breastfeeding moms. You CAN breastfeed while on it. It has been very well studied, and they can find very small amounts in the milk little or no trace of it in babies blood. In most babies they could not even detect it.

I have re-lactated for an adopted baby, and found it to be well worth it! PM me if you like. My best advice is to get a Lact-Aid and do all or most of the feedings at the breast, get some domperidone and check out the info at Relactation and Adoptive Breastfeeding: The Basics

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 14, 2010