Going from formula to whole milk

My daughter is 11 months old. For about a month now she has slowly started taking less and less formula, now she is hardly taking any. She screams and just wants baby food or real food. I'm wondering if I should put her on whole milk early and get vitamins from her pediatrician that'll help supplement what she's lacking from not having formula. Is this a good idea? I know that nothing can truly replace what they get from formula.. but my thinking is that it'd be better for her to get more whole milk and vitamins than barely any formula. I'm just kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Definitely offer whole milk now to her. I hope she is already taking a prescribed Vitamin from the DR. If not, she should absolutely have a daily Vitamin. Talk to your Dr. too. If she is eating healthy, less formula should be fine but supplement with milk & vitamins.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Well I would go ahead and try the whole milk,,,or perhaps try switching to a different formula,, perhaps she just is over the taste of the brand you use now,,,Talk to her doc about vitamins,, good luck momma~
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:30 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• How about just feeding her table food instead. If she's on table food then she gets the vitimins and minerals that she needs daily from that. There are a lot of iron rich foods like beans, dark greens, meats, etc. You just have to feed her a well balanced meal along with what she gets to drink.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:34 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I would just do a healthy well balanced diet for her that will give her all the vitamins she needs a start the whole milk
    Nicsone

Answer by Nicsone at 1:39 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• She can drink water. Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn't digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 3:29 PM on Jun. 15, 2010