How much does your 6 y/o weigh?

5 months ago mine weighted 51lbs. Now he is 60lbs! He gained 9lbs in that time. Is this normal? He has always been bigger with weight and height (although at his yearly check he was in the 50% for weight). I looked on a chart and it seems he is 75% for weight. But I am worried that he gained so much in such a short period of time. Should I be?

bhwrn1

Asked by bhwrn1 at 9:36 AM on Jun. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son has always been small for his age. He is 6 and weighs the same as his 4 year old brother. They are both 38 lbs. If you are concerned take a good look at his eating habits, and level of activity. Is he involved in any kind of sport or physical activity. If he is eating the right kinds of foods, in the right portions, and is physically active, than don't worry so much about it. He's a growing boy. If he's eating a lot of junk, just try and gradually cut it back and introduce some more healthy alternatives.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:00 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• He eats well. He has had a surge in his appetite the last few weeks. I offer him nutritious snacks: cheese, yogurt, cheerios, fruit, carrots.. He always seems hungry. We get him outdoors when the weather is good: bike riding, swinging, kicking around the soccer ball, running with his brothers. He is not involved in sports right now. He will play in the fall. He will be going to daycamp starting the end of June and he will have swimming and some kind of sport every day, so he will be very active.
    bhwrn1

Answer by bhwrn1 at 10:05 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• my son will be six the end of nov. He weighs 42 lbs. He is taller than most in his pre k class. I havent checked his height lately though.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:27 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• my son will be 6 in august and he is 59 or probably 60lbs know... he is very tall he looks like he is 8 years old..lol I would say he is probably due for a growth spurt very soon.. that is what my son does he will gain weight look a little chunky and then grow a few inches and thin right back out.. If he is eating healthy and being active then I wouldn't worry about it.. if it was a huge problem your doc out have said something about it! they are just growing boys :)
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 10:38 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• My son in 6 and he will seven in October, he is 4'7 and 100 pounds
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 10:51 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• My son at 6 weighed 42 lbs and was 3'7 and 3/4inches tall.he's little. he's 9 now and 58 lbs and 4'2

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:58 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• wow. i guess my boys really are big for their age.
    my 4.5 year old weighs 42ish pounds.
    my 5.5 year old weighs 53ish pounds.

They are both fine and healthy. Not overweight, although, i have been waiting for DS1 to hit a growth spurt. They are also both a little on the taller side.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:56 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• My boys are both big as well, but now overweight they are tall. My 4 yr old weighs almost 50lbs and my 6yr old weighs over 60lbs. My 6 year old looks too skinny though. He is so tall, and his ribs and hip bones jut out of his skin. I don't like it and try to get him to eat food with more fat just to put some meat on his bones, it just doesn't happen for him though. His dad is the same way, tall and skinny. My 4 yr old is taller than most of the kids in my 6yr old kindergarten class, and while he's not as skinny as my 6yr old, he's still not chubby at all.
    I wouldn't worry too much. Their growth can change so much, and 50-75th percentile for a 6yr old isn't that bad imo.
    Quentinsmamma

Answer by Quentinsmamma at 12:08 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• 2010 by: outstandingLove
    wow. i guess my boys really are big for their age.
    my 4.5 year old weighs 42ish pounds.
    my 5.5 year old weighs 53ish pounds.

They don't sound big. My 3.5 y/o is 40lbs and my 6 y/o is 60lbs (he was 51 at 5 y/o)
    bhwrn1

Answer by bhwrn1 at 12:08 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• My dd is 8 and she weighs 60lbs, and she is tall for her age at 52" tall. As long as your child is proportionate, and they are healthy, then it shouldnt be a problem. You can consult your doctor if youre worried though, they would be more then happy to look into it for you.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 12:25 PM on Jun. 14, 2010