clingyness...fits....terrible two's?

dd has been beyond clingy lately, and it starts the minute dh gets his things to go to work, it starts with clingy to his leg..and when i pull her off of him, she clings to me, and throws a fit...she's perfectly fine playing by herself, and will go off and do her own thing, but throughout the day she gets in these slumps where all she wants to do is cling on to your leg, cry , and throw a fit...if she gets in trouble all she does is cry,..i mean, like when we try and talk to her and tell her what she did wrong and why she got in trouble, she screams and cries, making it impossible to talk..i wake up in the morning and dread the day ahead of me..by the end of the week, if not the middle of it, i've broken down,..i'm emotionally drained from this, and about to go insane...i don't know what to do to tone down the clingyness and fits (fits lead into the clingyness)..any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son started to get that way and starting to scream when I tell him why he's in trouble. I too felt drained. But I started taking control, I wasn't going to have a 2 year old tell me what to do. I am his mother and he was going to listen to me! I figured it this way, I don't abuse him, I give him plenty of attention, I play with him, he eats all the time. So pretty much he was acting like this because he was just being spoiled. For instance if the cartoons were on and I changed the channel, he would scream even though he wasn't watching it. psh.. yeah right! I stopped that real quick. The thing is, at first when you are breaking them out of a behavior, you are going to hear a lot of screaming and crying. You have to learn to deal with that. I didn't spank but I was firm when I said he wasn't going to have a certain thing, I meant it. and if he screamed, I put him in his room until he was calm. He's better now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I too have felt this and I WOHM but my weekends felt dreaded because they were going to be this way - my son is the same way ..lol!! if that helps ease your mind that you are alone in this.. we JUST started working on "tough love" with him because we ALL were overwhelmed with his behavior - all though he didn't cling to our leg AS much - he was FILLED with all day whining and crying and you can't sit on the couch cause that's where he plays, can't turn the channel cause he's watching that, didn't want to eat what I made him, didn't want to go inside, or leave the store etc..we are still working on this but we went trhough 6 months of him not sleeping through the night so I didn't get a break there either - he would complain of being sick and he never was after 5 different Dr appts.. I was basically told I am being played.ugh.. that was hard to hear but he's SO much better now behaved once we started getting stronger
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:47 PM on Jun. 14, 2010