When your kid has a growth spurt, do they go out then up or up then out? Or is it more like both at once?

My daughter always gains the weight first, and gets a cute little belly, then she sprouts up and looks like a starved kid again.
I was curious how other kids grow.

Kiwismommy19

Asked by Kiwismommy19 at 10:50 AM on Jun. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• When my kids were little it was always out then up. Whenever I saw them gaining a little weight in their faces and around their bellies I knew I should start budgeting for new clothes and shoes. LOL Now that my oldest is a teen its just straight up...except for the feet. LOL
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 1:29 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• my son grows up. He's in the phase now where his legs and arms are really long. Ever since he was 6,he's been a skinny boy.He's 9 now

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:52 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• i never really notice with my son...i guess because i'm the one thats around him all the time. My grandparents always say how tall he is getting and i do notice with how tall he gets with his pants. I even bought his pants last fall extra long and they were high waters on him before spring. The only time i notice he is pudgy is when he comes back from my grandparents..thats only because they allow him to eat junk food and candy 24/7.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 10:55 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• That's how both my kids did it when they were little. Now my dd isn't really growing anymore (she's 16, and girls usually stop growing taller by that age), and my ds is a bottomless pit, but grows so fast that he doesn't have time to get a belly (he's 17, almost 6 ft tall and wears a size 13 shoe, so...)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:09 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Up, then out. Lol, with my son I first notice when his pants, shirts start getting short on him. Then he slowly fills in so that we can actually get his clothes to fit right in both length and the way they fit everywhere else!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 11:11 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Only up. LOL He is skinny and has never been not skinny. His feet are all that grows out. He is 5'2", 85lbs, is 14 and wears a mens size 10 shoe.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:15 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Out and then up. There's a brief period before the growth spurt where his pants actually stay up properly and then a month later they're too short and I need to buy longer ones that are too big in the waist.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 1:09 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• My kids all grow up but have seemed to stop growing out since their first birthdays. They're all skinny little things that eat like they got two hollow legs!
    cheez1e

Answer by cheez1e at 1:52 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• up and up lol. my dd is 5 1/2 and she has always been skinny.
    aeroslove

Answer by aeroslove at 3:55 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• It has been different for all of mine. My oldest, something on him will get really big, like his hands or his ears, etc and then he'll grow into it. My 2 younger ones get chubby and then sprout up.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 4:19 PM on Jun. 14, 2010