breastfeeding and unprotected sex

i KNOW that breastfeeding is not a birth control and you should not just assume that because you are BF, that you cant get pregnant. but what chance does one have to become pregnant when theyre BFing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• I was exclusively BFing my oldest when I got pregnant with my next child... I never got my cycle back... And my son nursed ALOT (45mins every hour)... For me, apparently for me chances were 100%...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:26 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Multiple studies have found the if you are EXCLUSIVELY breastfeeding with NO SUPPLEMENTS that you have a less than 2% chance of getting pregnant in the first 6 months if your periods have not returned.

That does NOT mean that it doesn't happen. It just means that in women who were truly exclusively breastfeeding they have a VERY SMALL chance of getting pregnant.

With my first child I did not ovulate for 14 months even though I started solids in addition to breastfeeding at 6 months. I'm currently nursing my 11 month old and have not ovulated yet even though I again started solids at 6 months.

I chart so I KNOW I'm not ovulating and I'll know when I do so I can avoid suprise pregnancies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I got pregnat with my 2nd baby while breastfeeding my first. I then got pregnant with my 3rd while breastfeeding my second. My oldest wasn't even 3.5 yr old when I had my third baby.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 12:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I noticed that "thrivingmom" said in another post that she got pregnant after a period while breastfeeding.

If you're cycles have ALREADY returned then breastfeeding does NOT protect you at all from pregnancy!

You can only depend on LAM if you are breastfeeding, exclusively, without periods and in the first 6 months of your babies life.
    Anonymous