SAHMs, what does each day look like for you?

It seems to me that I can't get a handle on it all...my kids are 5 and 3....I've been home with them full time since January...I work from home full time also. It seems that no matter how many things we plan or activities we do there is still so much down time that they are bored. I feel like instead of being in charge of the day, the day is in charge of me and nothing goes smoothly. I seem to be putting out fires all day instead of enjoying the time. For example, today...its almost 11:30, I'm still not showered, the house is a disaster, the kids have fought 10 times already, the 3 YO has had a tantrum, I still haven't eaten breakfast (they have), and its almost time for lunch. How strict is your schedule each day and do you have success with it? Weather is crappy today so no outside time, we usually do that in the morning and afternoon when its nice....

gramsmom

Asked by gramsmom at 11:28 AM on Jun. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• My kids are still both under 2 but I try to keep a schedule pretty tightly, for my own sanity. At the ages of 3 and 5 can you do anything educational with them. Like a daily "circle time" topic. For the week you could have a topic then break it down to daily topics. Say, this week is plants and each day do a different plant. Then you could have 2 circle times, morning and afternoon. That could take a half hour each time, hopefully. And also review their numbers, alphabet, and weather each day. Get a calendar and have calendar time and review the days of the week, the month, the date, and put a picture of the weather that day for each day you do it. That is what I did back in my preschool teaching days. And they do much of this in kindergarten too. So they would both be benefiting. Give the older one some authority to help/teach the younger one. I also allow my 2 to watch a show on Nick Jr while I clean up all 3 meals.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 11:36 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I have a three (almost four) year old, a two year old and a 4 week old. My day sounds pretty much like yours, except add the time I spend pulling the bigger two off of the baby and trying to quell their "affection."
    I'm so tired that, even when the baby sleeps, I don't have the energy or motivation to, say, load the dishwasher. I feel bad sometimes, that I'm not the artsy-craftsy, constantly reading and engaging mom I wanted to be. I hope I can be that when they are older, but, right now, i'm just managing.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 11:41 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I wake up about two hours earlier than the kids, and do anything I need to do. I usually shower at night and then do my hair and makeup if we're going somewhere in the morning. When they wake up it's breakfast and pbs kids so I can do breakfast for myself. After that they get ready and we usually have some kind of plans around 10am. It's either playschool, play group, some kind of outing. It's usually around 2 hours. When we get home it's lunch then a nap and I do any housework, play with the dog,get stuff ready for dinner basically whatever I need to do. They wake up we go outside. Either playing in the back with toys, the pool the park whatever we can do outside for about an hour or two. Then it's inside where I turn on music and they play while I cook dinner. During that time dad gets home and play with them until we eat. After dinner we walk the dog and then do our bedtime routine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I used to keep a pretty strict routine. Up at 7am, breakfast, then playtime, either outside or in, depending on weather. Then a snack around 9:30. I always made sure if they ate anything it's in the kitchen, no carrying anything around. Then after that they colored, drew, made something, or just play time. TV is off the whole morning. Then Lunch at 11am, after that naptime. If your 5 yr old is too old for them then it could be some quiet time watching cartoons,video games, or playing a game with you. After nap is over then a small snack/drink, and then playtime. in or out. Children are at play most of the time, at least that's what I have learned from having 3 boys. If they weren't playing,coloring, drawing, then they were eating or sleeping. I also include them in house cleaning, gardening, yardwork, etc. They love helping, and teaching them to clean their rooms, or easy rooms like the living room, etc will help you out too!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:51 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• My days were very different until recently. My younger sons just graduated from high school and until a week ago it was hubby and I and the 2 of them. I cleaned the house and did laundry and had quiet days. A week ago a friend and her 6 1/2 yo daughter moved in and I am now providing child care for said 6yo. I take her to the library every day and let her play there with other children, she spends hours playing with the 2 little children (7 and almost 5) from across the street and I spend hours getting up and down checking on them (they are allowed on my porch, in my yard right by my living room window and in our back yard), I listen to every single thing they say and do and it keeps me hopping. If it gets quiet for 1 second I am up to see why. When she iss inside and minus friends I am playing with her, getting her snacks and drinks, making her lunch, doing my house chores & laundry & staying busy.
    Anonymous

• Why didn't you eat breakfast with them? Make something for all of you and then sit down together to eat it. I'm usually up about an hour before the kids and I have some coffee, catch up on the news, read a couple of blogs, that kind of thing. Once they're up we have some snuggles then we eat breakfast together, sometimes just cereal or toast and sometimes we make pancakes or eggs. After that it's cleaning time so I do my daily chores (emptying dishwasher, wiping down bathroom, etc.) and whatever weekly chore I have to do that day such as kitchen, bedrooms, or bathrooms. The kids help or play or watch a bit of PBS. That's done by about 10am most days and then we generally head out, either to a museum or the park or just errands. We often take a picnic and sometimes go out for lunch. After that we read and write and play games before dinner then it's dad time until bedtime.
    Anonymous

• My kids are 4, 7, 8 and 10 and we don't do schedules. They are expected to entertain themselves and if they whine they are bored then I find something for them to clean (washing walls is usually a good chore to kill boredom). I've never sat around entertaining my kids. That's their job.
    My kids are older so they spend their days playing outside with their friends. I have a lot more free time now although my 4yo insists on bugging the crap out of me every 2 seconds. I also don't have a problem with the TV so if I need a break they watch TV while I do whatever.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:27 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Can you take them to the park? I am trying to get in the habit of getting up, dressed, eat, clean up, gym (playground for the kids) home, nap, lunch, play outside (big kids), little kids play inside, clean while the kids play. Kids are going to be irritating, fighting, throwing tantrums if they have a lot of pent up energy
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:47 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• My kids are 6 and 3 and my 6 year old can't handle free down time. So with their input we made a schedule for the summer. It includes chores, playtime, outside time, taking a walk etc. I don't think it will fit on here but if PM me I would be more than happy to share what is working for us!! I know all too well the struggles you are describing, I have definitely been there!!
    TKsMommie

Answer by TKsMommie at 5:56 PM on Jun. 14, 2010