Angry Toddler! Help/Advice needed

My 20m old son is just angry! Just with me/daddy, he's nice to others. Lots of hitting, fussing, impatience, frustration. If something doesn't go his way (i mean, the tiniest thing) he goes nuts. I keep thinking he's teething, but can't see anything coming through in the back of his mouth. The time-outs are starting before he's even up an hour in the mornings. Advice? Suggestions? I'm so exausted and the days just aren't enjoyable. Is it just terrible twos??

mevxoxo

Asked by mevxoxo at 11:39 AM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Kids always act better for other people than their own parents. Do you have a routine for him from the time he gets up? If not, it might help the day go better if he knows what will happen when.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:43 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Comfort him, try punishing him with hugs and love, not time out! 2 is waay to young to be punished.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• "Comfort him, try punishing him with hugs and love, not time out! 2 is waay to young to be punished. "

I totally disagree here... This is the perfect age to use time outs. The key to the time out is to remain consistent and choose a space that is completely away from any stimulation (out of sight of tv, toys, family, etc).  I sit my daughter in time out and EVERY time I say "You are in a T.O. for _______.  Sit quietly until Mama comes back".  It was VERY challenging for a long period of time, but I would continue to put her back over-and-over and repeat, "You are in a T.O. for ______, sit quietly until Mama comes back".  Cont..

kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 12:34 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Cont...
    Afterwards, we process what happened and talk about why it is inappropriate to do whatever it was that she did. Now, I simply stay on the lookout for behavior that is about to occur, like if I see her raise her hand to hit, and I remind her, "If you hit, you will go straight to time out." Works every time ;-) GL momma! Stick with it. Don't give empty threats, go straight to T.O. every time and explain why each time. He'll catch on eventually and you'll be so glad that you went through the hard part.
    kenzie07

• My son went through and is still somewhat going through a very "aggressive" phase, which I can only imagine is the same as what you are talking about.. it did throw us for a loop cause it seemed to happen all of a sudden. this is the time you need to be most consistant with time outs and punishment. We think our son suffer's from growing pains but also this is a very busy time in their development and we noticed he went through 1-2 months of heavy agression and in the past week we've seen SO many changes in his vocabulary, his mood, his attentiveness, his comprehension - I personally think it was just a growth spurt
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:56 PM on Jun. 14, 2010