Hi, I am a full time stay @ home mom to a 15 month old girl, she is also full time breast feeding, and i am worried because i have developed a large lump in my r leg. I know that i need to stop breastfeeding but can't becuz my dtr screams at the sight of bottle.

at this age i know that she can go without breast milk, but she has gotten SO attached, she refuses bottle, and nightime is MIserable! plz help

JanetNSky09

Asked by JanetNSky09 at 11:47 AM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• See your doctor. I'm not seeing how the lump will make you stop breastfeeding

Answer by admckenzie at 11:49 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Why do you need to stop breastfeeding? Have you gone to the doctor yet to see what the lump is? At this age, I wouldn't bother with a bottle anyway. Does your daughter take a sippy cup or drink from a straw.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:50 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Thanks, unfortunatley Oregon is a very poor state, and i have NO healtcare at all..SO i just sit and worry all day and night about it. I really am scared, it feels heavy too and is bigger then the other leg...
    JanetNSky09

Answer by JanetNSky09 at 11:53 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Where is the lump located? Do you feel deep pressure from it? Does the leg look normal there or is the skin color a little off? My biggest concern would be a blood clot.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:55 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I wouldn't mess with a bottle at 15 months - just go straight to a sippy cup. For me it was always easier for them to start with a soft spout or a straw. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 12:04 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• At 15 months a bottle isn't necesssary. Take her shopping for a sippy cup. You can make the transition by putting some expressed breast milk in the cup first. It doesn't matter how attached she may be unless you are willing to stop breastfeeding she'll continue. It should only take approximately three days to wean her. Maybe less if she understands "All gone". When she asks to be nursed tell her all gone and give her the cup. Yes she will be miserable for a few days, but she'll adapt. In place of bedtime nursing give her a warm bath and cuddle time. As to the leg issue doesn't Oregon have any free/low cost health clinics?? Contact the Dept. of Health and Human Services they should be able to help you get that checked out.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 12:06 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Sweetie, this is your life! Don't worry about medical coverage at a time like this! What if its a blood clot or something really bad. Your life is worth more than worrying about a medical bill. If you go to the ER they can't refuse to see you.

As far as the bf
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:14 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• "See your doctor. I'm not seeing how the lump will make you stop breastfeeding"

Ditto. If anything else, weaning her too quickly could cause mastitis or a plugged duct, which would just add to your health problems. The PP who said wean her in 3 days is WAY off, that is a horrible idea and could really be bad for your health. Anywhere that you go for medical services will most likely work with you on payment--I've never had a medical facility be unwilling to put me on a payment plan.
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 2:21 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I am not sure why you need to stop breast feeding. And doing so in 3 days is a terrible idea that can cause you more issues. You need to get to the doctor about your leg. Worry about paying it back little by little later but health comes first. Your daughter needs you to be well. But I see no reason to wean her unless you really want to. and no need for a bottle now.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 2:45 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Go to a sippy not a bottle...
    Anonymous