Do you allow people to 'cut-through' your yard?

We live on a dead-end road off of a very busy street. Behind us, our neighbors do not have access to that busy street except to 'cut-through' our yard (walking takes 5 min rather than 30). Initially I didn't mind because I knew everyone who walked through but lately it's been strangers. Not to mention, they are not staying along the property line but are instead going in my backyard. Also, we only have a one story house, so our bedroom windows are right where they are walking. I hate to be the neighbors that put up a fence and not let anyone pass through.

brykev

Asked by brykev at 11:47 AM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Home & Garden

• All of the homes in our neighborhood have private back yards with block walls around them. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable having an unfenced yard with children or pets.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:51 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I let people cut through, but we live in a trailer park with small yards. Sometimes the neighbor kids play in the yard between our home and theirs and in my "half" of the yard, but it doesn't bother me. People cut through to get to the other side rather than walk around too. But, we have blinds up and curtains on most of the windows. Our daughter's room is on the end and her window faces the driveway and ours is on the other end and there is a purple sheet hung on it with a big thick tapestry thing over that so no light gets in.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:55 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• i would hate it! it would annoy the crap out of me and i would look into putting upa fence!
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 11:56 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• If I lived in a neighborhood I would look into a nice picket fence. It will look nice, and keep strangers from passing through your yard. We live in the country so the only things passing through our yard are wild animals, or stray cats and dogs... I wish there was a way to keep them out but I will take them over strange people any day!!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:56 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• We have kids walk along the back property line sometimes, but its never been a problem. If they started wandering into the yard or if it was adult strangers I didn't know, I'd be putting up a fence real fast.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:56 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• People and animals cut through our yard all the time. I've never really thought about not letting them. I used to cut through this yard when I was a kid... It's a big hill and this yard is the easiest way up.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:02 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Our neighbors are always in our backyard...we have a big lake back there and it seems to be the community fishing lake...(sarcasm) this is our private lake, and we paid premium money for it when we bought this house, and still people feel it is okay to be back here...I wanna scream at them but dont want to start drama...its like let me go and swim in your pool the same way you people use my yard...
    Anonymous

• Here's a thought - can you put up a fence, but don't go all the way to the edge? Leave a walkway where you want people to walk, but keep them off the main part of your property?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:05 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

That's a good idea!!! We had to do that to our front yard b/c the mailman was wearing a literal path in our grass ;o(
    Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:18 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Our backyard butts against 10 acre woods with an apartment complex on the other side. I do mind. If I catch them (adults and children) in my yard  I tell them to go back. I have caught other children playing in my yard on the swing set and playing with other toys. I will tell them to leave and not come back. We recently put up no trespassing signs, but nothing can be done unless the cops catch them there. 

I'm not going to put a fence up on an almost acre lost, plus we can't afford it. I just will continue to kick them out.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 12:33 PM on Jun. 14, 2010