Tell me what you think of this -- a little known story from the Pentagon on 9/11/2001

> During a visit with a fellow chaplain, who happened to be assigned to the
> Pentagon, I had a chance to hear a first-hand account of an incident that
> happened right after Flight 77 hit the Pentagon.
>
> The chaplain told me what happened at a daycare center near where the impact occurred. This daycare had many children, including infants who were in heavy cribs. The daycare supervisor, looking at all the children they needed to evacuate, was in a panic over what they could do. There were many children, mostly toddlers, as well as the infants that would need to be taken out with the cribs. There was no time to try to bundle them into carriers and strollers. Just then a young Marine came running into the center and asked
what they needed. After hearing what the center director was trying to do,
he ran back out into the hallway and disappeared. The director thought, 'Well, here we are-on our own.'

continued below...

29again

Asked by 29again at 12:03 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Whether this story is true or not, it still doesn't change my statement or my feelings. There were a lot of heroes - in and out of uniform - that day. Many of them went "unsung" and "unnoticed" because they are good, honorable, heroic people who did what they did, not because they wanted to be noticed or praised for it, but because it was truly the right thing to do, and that it didn't even occur to them that it wasn't something that anyone in that situation would do.

My uncle was stationed at the Pentagon on that day. My husband was on a ship in the Gulf on that day (in fact, his ship was the first one to fire shots into Afghanistan - he was on the USS Philippine Sea, with the USS Enterprise group). I've heard a lot of stories of heroism from that day and others - things that will never make the news, but were still just as honorable and had just as positive an impact on our world whether they were known or not.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:07 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• About 2 minutes later, that Marine returned with 40 other Marines in tow. Each of them grabbed a crib with a child, and the rest started gathering up toddlers. The director and her staff then helped them take all the children out of the center and down toward the park near the Potomac and the Pentagon.
    Once they got about 3/4 of a mile outside the building, the Marines stopped in the park, and then did a fabulous thing - they formed a circle with the cribs, which were quite sturdy and heavy, like the covered wagons in the Old West. Inside this circle of cribs, they put the toddlers, to keep them from wandering off. Outside this circle were the 40 Marines, forming a perimeter around the children and waiting for instructions. There they remained until the parents could be notified and come get their children.

continued below
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:05 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• The chaplain then said, "I don't think any of us saw nor heard of this on any of the news stories of the day. It was an incredible story of our men there.
    > There wasn't a dry eye in the room. The thought of those Marines and what they did and how fast they reacted; could we expect any less from them? It was one of the most touching stories from the Pentagon." >
    > Remember Ronald Reagan's great compliment: "Most of us wonder if our lives made any difference. Marines don't have that problem."

THIS is our military. What do you think of this story? Why do you think that no-one ever heard this on any of the news stations? Why wasn't this ever reported on?
    29again

Answer by 29again at 12:08 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Yeah why wasn't this story recognized?
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 12:14 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• You know why news channels don't recognize stories like this? It's because they get more viewers if they talk about people dying and tragedies. Isn't that sad? We're so obsessed with death and tragedy that we forget the good things in life.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 12:15 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I haven't heard this before, but honestly, I am not surprised. There were so many heroes, in and out of uniform, on that day and in the days immediately afterward.

I can tell you though part of why I think it wasn't reported. It's because of this - you notice that it was the Chaplain who told the story - NOT the Marines involved. It's because not only does the bad news make the news more than the good news, but, even with the good news stories, it's "the squeaky wheel that gets the oil" - those Marines did what they did because it was the right thing, the honorable thing - to do. They have sworn to defend their countrymen and those weaker than they, and those babies were both. They honestly probably don't see what they did as anything particularly heroic or noteworthy - because they honestly probably can't fully comprehend that not everyone would do it -

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• cont

Their honor and courage are such a part of who they are, so to them, doing this was just what would come naturally to them at a time like that. So, they didn't think to tell anyone (just like, for example, I wouldn't think to tell someone I waited until kids were out of the crosswalk before I drove through it...) and since they didn't tell anyone, it went largely unnoticed.

The fact that they didn't make such a big deal over what they did, they just did what needed to be done, shows just how truly honorable and heroic they are.

But, more importantly than the news or the general public knowing what they did - God knows, they know, and the families that they helped know. It's wonderful that now the rest of us know, too, but that the others I just mentioned knows is what's more important :-)

Hope that makes sense - lol - it's late here and I'm getting tired :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 12:32 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Wow, I hadn't heard that story. Thank you so much for sharing it. My husband is in the army. I think it is so sad how little real appreciation people in the armed services get--respect and positive reinforcement from the media and US citizens in general. Luckily for us (as citizens) that these men and women do it for other reasons--they see the bigger purpose in their commitments to the military. Thank you to any of you on CafeMom who serve or have family who serve in the United States Armed Forces!!
    LindyCam

Answer by LindyCam at 12:33 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I am probably one of the few who have heard this story. My uncle works at the pentagon and told us of it during a holiday one year. I am grateful and thankful for the men who serve our country.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 1:23 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• You haven't heard it because it's not true.

http://www.snopes.com/rumors/glurge/daycare.asp
    Anonymous