Why are more and more families consuming milk-substitutes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• It's because more and more families are actually doing their research and figuring out how to feed their families in the best way possible. Cow milk is for calves, not humans. It's intended to make baby cows gain a lot of weight in a short period of time which isn't desirable for humans so it's pretty much common sense not to consume it. Look at the science too. Dairy isn't a good source of anything. Sure it has calcium but it also prevents your body from absorbing it. It has protein but there are far better sources that aren't also packed with loads of fat and a host of other undesirable things.

We use a small amount of soy milk, only a carton a week or so and really just for cooking and the occasional bowl of cereal. It's way better than dairy milk but it's still a processed food so we don't use it much.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 1:08 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I use soy milk because I am lactose intolerant and have been for probably all of my life.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:27 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I only get almond or soy milk for my DD because she can not handle regular milk and never has been able to! I just don't like milk lol!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 12:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Because milk was meant for calves not humans.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• We have both. My stomach can only handle so much milk. But my kids and hubby love it. So I buy regular milk for them and I used soy for myself
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:33 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I am not aware that families are using "milk substitutes" . Is this a new "Fad" or something? Nobody I know is avoiding cow's milk or any dairy products.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• i agree that milk is for calves. it is not a natural thing to drink milk beyond the infancy stage and from another species.
    dairy is the number 1 food intolerance/ allergen.
    if you think it is good for you, you should eliminate it from your diet for a few weeks, and then add it back, and see what your body does!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:42 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• oh- we do not use a milk substitute, we just go from breast milk to water. we try to minimize processed foods.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 12:43 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• My son has issues with dairy. He was extremely constipated, moving bowels only every few days, and struggling and screaming, squatting for 30+ min whenever he went, to pass something so large and hard, I felt horrible. Once I took most of the dairy out of his diet, and added more fiber, he now goes regularly.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:49 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Isn't too much soy bad for you????
    Anonymous