when should i begin shampooing my son's hair he will be 2 weeks old this thursday. i do not want him to get cradle scalp.

survivormama10

Asked by survivormama10 at 12:22 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If he gets cradle cap it will not be from not shampooing. This is skin cells shedding. Some get it and some don't. You can shampoo his head now. Just hold him like a football and allow a gentle stream of water to go over the hair. Apply a small amount of shampoo and then rinse.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:25 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• You can't avoid that- it's hormonal. If he gets it, just put baby oil on it and gently brush it away. It usually goes away after a while.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 12:26 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I have 4 kids only 1 had cradle cap, I used johnson and johnson products daily.

I wash them as soon as they were born, I don't know what they say these days, but formula, and sweat is not the best combination.

This is my feelings, don't get offended. Some people might wait longer, but I didn't.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 12:27 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I started washing my kids even in the hospital, and then washed it every 2-3 days when I gave them baths. 3 out of 4 of mine got cradle cap, but it's not related to shampooing.

Answer by missanc at 12:44 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I started shampooing my DD's hair as soon as she came home. She got a sponge bath and her hair washed everyday until her cord fell off, then she got a regular bath and shapmoo every night. I just put a little bit of baby oil in her hair and used a baby brush after her bath and she never got cradle cap.
    Mercysmommy1004

Answer by Mercysmommy1004 at 12:51 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Over bathing and using all those chemical laden baby bath products can be very drying and irritating to the skin. You don't have to shampoo his hair at all, unless he's puked in it, plain water works fine.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:05 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I never washed my DD's hair more than once a week, and she never got cradle cap. I don't think shampooing more often will prevent it. Babies just get it or they don't!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I only wash my dd's hair every other day. I noticed if her scalp got too dry from washing daily she got cradle cap, shampooing less helped keep it from happening. I started giving her baths every 2 days when her cord came off, every day at about 2 months when it became our bedtime routine.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:30 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Im confused, so you have not washed his hair at all? I couldnt go that long cause they spit up and sometimes it leaks to the back of there neck and gets in there hair. Both of my babys got a bath while in the hospital and then every day after that. I would be thinking about hygene befor anything. They have a special kind of soap for cradle cap, its blue. Ask your doc if it comes to that.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 6:40 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Sorry the shampoo is called celsum blue but you can only use it twice a week is what my sons ped told me and on the other days just use reg baby shampoo.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 6:42 PM on Jun. 14, 2010