What is a good way to get twins to sleep at the same time?

mummykaren

Asked by mummykaren at 12:43 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try to keep them on the same schedule for everything as best you can. When one baby wakes up to feed or needs a diaper try to feed and change the other one then too. My bigger baby naturally ate more at a time and went longer between feedings, so the plan didn't work perfectly for us.  I tracked the times that they both nursed and the length of time so I could get an idea of their natural schedules and tried to shift both slightly closer to the others schedule.  If one baby usually ate every 2 1/2 hours and the other could go 3 I'd feed the one that wanted to eat every 2 1/2 hours at 2 hours and 35 or 40 minutes and feed the one that wanted to feed every 3 hours at 2 hours and 50 minutes, and the next day I'd adjust them both another 5 or 10 minutes towards the other's schedule.  Of course, the bigger one ate more at each feeding, so she ended up dropping a feeding before her brother. 

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:20 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• My bigger baby also started sleeping through the night first, and when it became obvious she didn't need to feed in the middle of the night I let her sleep when her brother got up at 2 or 3 am. A few months later he was bigger and sleeping through the night too. I couldn't always get them to take bottles or nurse at the same time because their needs were different, but I did try to have each of them compromise a little to better match the other. Their schedules were never fully in synch, but I did try to keep them adjusted to at least go to bed at the same time at night. It does get easier as they get older and go longer between feedings. GL!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:27 PM on Jun. 16, 2010

• If you aren't already a member of one of the twin groups on cafemom, you might want to join. There are tons of posts with real life experiences from other moms dealing with the same issues. You can see what several different moms did and try the ideas you think will work best for you.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 12:37 PM on Jun. 16, 2010