Do you think WITH OUT a marriage license, it is not a commitment?

OMG, I found this amusing. This is 2010. We live in a time when the marriage rate is going down, the co-habitation rate is going up, and the majority of first-born children are now born to unmarried parents.

The paper does not mean you are committed. Your heart means you are, respect means you are, sharing, and caring means you are. Working together to build a future means you are.

How many married/single people cheat? How many people leave there marriage because of children outside the marraige. How many woman hold on to something that will never be because of the paper-now that is sad.
Married or not it is up to you but don't ever say your not committed because of a marriage certicate. That is just stupid.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Relationships

• I agree there def. can be a commitment with out marriage but....if you are committed to each other anyway then why not get marred?

Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 12:57 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• dito Brandi300
    Anonymous

• It's not about the license--it's about the vows of committment. Don't confuse the two!!!
    Anonymous

• I'm married... Personally, NOTHING changed when we got married. It was nothing more than a simple piece of paper... I hate the idea of marriage and could I go back I would have put my foot down and refused it. Unwed people are just as committed as married ones and should not have to have a paper to prove that!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:59 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• You can have commitment without a marriage license, but the license is to protect you legally, specially if you spend your entire life with a person and you two split for whatever reason, what legal standing would you have? There are not too many states who recognize couples who are not married anymore, why risk it if you are committed anyway?

Answer by older at 1:01 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• sure you can be committed to someone without having to marry them.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:01 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I'm not a big fan of the piece of paper myself but what I have come to know is that if a person (mostly men) has not taken the vow before others to forsake others, they tend to think they are still single and can be with others if they want. They want all the rewards of a committed relationship but when convenient they use the fact that they are not "really married" to excuse bad behavior.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:02 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Commitment comes and goes. You can be committed to someone one day and be separated the next. I could tell you how people change their minds every minute about commitment. My husband is a police officer and deals with "committed" relationships every day. The piece of paper seems to make people take it seriously. Not everyone, but most people.
    Anonymous

• So what happened to make this rant necessary? I'm guessing someone got on to you. If you don't think marriage is a committment you want to make, then don't. But don't think it's okay to trash people who decided to be grown up, give their children legitimacy and are legally considered a couple. Without that "piece of paper" you hate so much, which I doubt is the actual problem, you have no legal ground to stand on in a lot of cases and states.
    Anonymous

• Let me say this, I am for gay/lesbian/heterosexual civil union. It is none of my business what people do in their bedrooms. But really think of the consequences of not being in some sort of a legal document. If your partner is ever hurt or really sick, you won't be able to get important information about them should something happen to them. You won't have a say in their care. Also, I think I'd want a legal document involved so I could get shared benefits like health insurance. If I didn't have that legal document and we split up because my husband or partner left me in the middle of the year, I wouldn't be able to discontinue those payments. Wouldn't that stink if you had to pay health insurance on someone who left you and was with someone else and you couldn't do anything about it? Yes, Yes, I know it can happen if you have the document but legally it would be easier to deal with.
    Anonymous