Do sensitive kids do better in a home daycare or Center?

Ok, so I don't have the option to be a SAHM - no bashing here needed either, but for Mom's with sensitive children, did you find they did better in an In-Home daycare environment or Licensed Center? My son has been in a Center since he was 16 months old - he turns 3 in Nov but he never wants to go to "school" - I get daily sheets of what they do there, he learns spanish and sign language and is in soccer and music class.. however he's pretty shy and isn't transitioning to the next level very well and I worry that he's just not the "center" type of child. He needs more of that nurture that comes with in home care but I don't trust In home daycares.. looking for other mom's opinion's here.

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 1:08 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• well I'm a mom and I work at a child care resource and referral agency. There were 3 of us here that had babies within a year, all 3 of us picked a licensed home provider over a center. I think that different kids are better suited for different types of care, and it just may be that your DS is not a "center kid", he may do better in a home program with a couch to sit on, a kitchen table to eat at and a grassy back yard to play in, as it is more like home than "school"
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:14 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I think it will depend all on the teachers in the center and the provider in the in-home setting. My son is a sensitive child, but he has very loving and nurturing teachers at his center....so he loves, loves, loves it there. On the other hand, if they weren't as hands on and loving with him, I imagine he would hate it. I would just either try to find an in-home setting where you can find that type of "teacher" or a new center with that type of "teacher."
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 1:37 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Find a SAHM that is looking to babysit that only has one or two kids at home with her and see if that works out better.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:44 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• He does so terrible with change that IF we do move him, I need to make sure we only do it once... The teachers at his Center are not nurturing. They are fun and nice and give structure and the turn around rate is very small but I do think he isn't 100% comfortable being there. thank you ladies.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:55 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• go to www.childcareaware.org and find your local child care resource and referral agency, they should be able to get you a listing of licensed providers in your area
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:58 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• My DD is 20 months old, she has been at an in-home daycare since 7 months and she is thriving. It is the same woman who cares for her everyday, she is very affectionate and loving toward the children- gives lots of hugs, etc. If I were you I would look for an in-home daycare provider and give it a try. To me, a child this young needs that extra attention and security. If he was doing well where he is then that would be a different story but it sounds like he could benefit from a smaller, more home-like atmosphere. Ask around for recommendations, that is how I found my daycare- from another mom's advice. GL!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:23 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I'm a very sensitive person and when i was a kid I hated the daycare center. I can recall crying alot and being upset alot. I then went to a home daycare and really enjoyed the routine and it felt like I was just visiting someone with kids and we played at all the meals in the kitchen...it was cozy and therefor never had any crying or anxiety issues
    Yes I can recall how it was to be 3 yrs old....I just thought sharing what i remember would help you better decide
    Anonymous

• I grew up w/ my mom doing an in home daycare(she started when I was 4). Then as an adult I worked at the best daycare center in my area as a teacher for a couple yrs. From my experience I would deff recomend a sensitive little one go to an in home provider. It's more homelike and less turn over in care givers
    Anonymous

• I meant to say we played at the table and at our meals in the kitchen
    Anonymous

• I wonder if that is what he's feeling... he crys and needs his puppy ( comfort/nap animal ) a lot more often than most of the kids - he was supposed to transition from the toddler room to a room that prepares them for preschool and he didn't get to get transitioned with the other child his age because he wasn't dealing with it well.. they take pictures often and he's rarely smiling or laughing.. its the "best" 4 star accredited school in our area so we feel fortunate he has this opportunity to go there but not if he never wants to go or isn't happy when he's there... It breaks my heart on days he crys for me when I leave but I think the learning aspect of it is amazing. I don't want him to go to a daycare that will just let him watch tv or play by himself..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:54 PM on Jun. 14, 2010