Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Black mold and baby. What would you do?

So my inlaws live an apt building that is infested with mold. It is visible. I was there yesterday and used the restroom. I saw black spots on the wall but didn't know it was mold. Looked like they tried painting over brown paint with white. Well come to find out it was black mold. BIL said he called the landlord 3 weeks ago but he never showed up. They have a 3 week old baby. I will not be returning to their place ever again esp with my 2 year old daughter. I'm sorry but I just can't. Is this deadly? I'm worried about our nephew.

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Health

Answers (6)
  • they should call the health dept ASAP
    peanutsmommy1

    Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:17 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

  • I don't think I will go as far as to say it is deadly but it sure is toxic, and a young baby or anyone for that matter should be exposed to that. Tell them to call the health dept and they will force the landlord to take care of it.
    older

    Answer by older at 1:18 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

  • yes it can be deadly. A girl i worked with got pnemonia (sp?) and was put in the hospital from black mold...she had to take antibiotics for months
    shay1130

    Answer by shay1130 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

  • Your inlaws can go to lowes and get some industrial strength bleach and spray it to kill what they can see. In the mean time, they need to call the health department and start looking for another place to live.
    Wyndi

    Answer by Wyndi at 1:39 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

  • Not ALL black mold is toxic. They need to have an inspection done to know if it is. You can NOT tell just by looking at it because there are thousands of types of mold, most of which wont harm anyone. Thats not to say its something to brush off. They need to bug the landlord some more and if he refuses to take care of it, call the health dept. and get someone out there.

    We are going through this with our current apt. We have an inspection tomorrow, thank God! Even if the mold isnt toxic, we are planning to move out. Mold looks nasty and smells and I dont want to deal with it. Bleach will only get rid of surface mold so if it is in the drywall or structure, it does nothing. It will just come back again and again.
    Aqua_Jen

    Answer by Aqua_Jen at 2:47 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

  • DO NOT tell them to use bleach or any chlorine containing product! It will cause sporilation and the mold can spread. The EPA and everyone else will tell you not to use bleach. It makes things way worse!

    All mold can be toxic. The color alone is not an indicator. Anyone living with mold like that is at serious health risk.

    They need to call the health dept and report the problem. ***They need to photo document the mold.*** They need to bring in an inspector from the county to document the mold. Then they need to leave. The landlord is required to remediate the mold or the building will have the certificate of occupancy pulled.
    ecodani

    Answer by ecodani at 3:05 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN