when do you get the birth certificate?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• In Ky, you have to order it. They give you the paper to fill out and you send in a $10 check or money order and they mail it within about 30 days.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:18 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• At many hospitals you fill out papers in the hospital and then about two weeks later, you can get it at the courthouse in your town or you might have to get it from the state. It just depends on where you live. I got my first baby's birth certificate from the courthouse in our city but we moved to another state and ended up getting our second baby's birth certificate from the state capital.
    Anonymous

• After you apply for it. Not every state has that as an automatic process with all the hospital paperwork. Also if your state has a short form and a long form, get the long form as that is all that is accepted by the government for passports, most states won't accept it for driver's license application, etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:20 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• In Ohio you pay an arm and a leg (like $30), send in an application to Vital Statistics, and you get it in 3-6 weeks.
    Little.Star

Answer by Little.Star at 1:22 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• We received our daughter's within a month. We filled out the paperwork at the hospital.
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 1:23 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I live in Michigan
    Anonymous

• I'm in Ohio, it cost me 22.00 or 24.00 in Cleveland. You fill out the paperwork in the hospital and they send it in. They usually say wait a month before getting it. If you go in person,(after the month is up) you get it that same day. By mail, a few weeks.

Anonymous

• Yep I think just about every state you have to order it. Litlle.Star I live in ohio too and it wasn't 30 it varies by county. Erie (near sandusky ohio) is 24, sandusky (near fremont) is 20, huron (near norwalk) is 17. Some allow you to call and order it w/ a debit card granted you can give the information on the mother, father (if one is listed) and baby. I did it that way and it only took 4 days to get there in the mail.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 1:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• We did the paperwork in the hospital and got ours a few weeks later at the city hall. Bit of a pain since we didn't know the city well and it's hard to find but once we got there it only took DH about 10 minutes to go in and get it. I don't recall paying anything, I think they just charge here if you want it mailed.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 1:30 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I filled out the paper work in the hospital- within a couple of weeks, it came in the mail--easy (NEW YORK)
    Anonymous