what percentile do you want your kids to be in with weight?

you don't want your kids to be close to 100 do you since the majority of Americans are obese?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 1:18 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I just want her healthy. And the percentile thing is based on averages between other kids that age, so wouldn't it go up as the average weight went up?
    She has only recently went up from the underweight section of the charts and is on the very bottom of "healthy" weight.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:20 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• My oldest has been in the 95% since birth, but that doesn't mean he is obese... He's also in the 95% for height... I learned early that those percentiles don't really matter as long as they are healthy. I mean, if he was 95% for weight and 50% for height, that's not healthy, but seeing how his BMI is right where it should be, those numbers mean nothing...

I pay no attention to them! Just make sure they are healthy, and you're fine.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:21 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• yeah, but what is average? isnt obese becoming "average"
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 1:21 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• My son's BMI is perfect so I don't worry about percentiles

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:31 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I want my kids to be in the % that is right for them!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:38 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Percentiles are crap and I don't pay attention to them any more. I felt horrible because of them at first because my daughter was always in the 10th or 15th percentiles for weight an height and I thought my baby wasn't big enough. Then I realized she'd never been sick, she was ahead developmentally and is a very happy child. So yeah, I stopped giving a shit about percentiles after that.
    Anonymous

• My oldest is very tall and skinny (5'7" and 115 lbs) at 13 years old but i'm not sure what percentage he is in. My 11 year old DS has ALWAYS been off the charts for both height and weight. He's 11 and is 5'8" and weighs 150 lbs. But he's not fat by any means, just his weight balances out with his height, and my DD is at 95th % for her height, and 15th-20th for her weight. Tall and skinny too.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:35 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Whatever is healthiest for THEM. There is no normal or right percentage. It depends on their body structure.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:55 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• Oh and you won't know the percentile unless the doctor or nurse tells you, which is something my son's pediatrician's office does NOT tell because too many parents freak out over them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:56 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• A child's body will be changing constantly for about 20 years. It does not matter what percentile they are in as long as they are healthy. No sense in giving them a bad body image from the get go. Children shouldn't have to worry about being to big or too small. They should be allowed to be children.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:56 PM on Jun. 15, 2010