Do you ask a new doctor/lawyer/teacher/"professional" about their religious beliefs before starting a relationship?

I was thinking about some other questions I have posted in the past. And I was wondering how many people actually go in to a professional relationship with someone before asking about their religious beliefs. I never thought to ask about them, until it was my future which was being affected by their beliefs... From now on I can guarantee that will be on the top of my "interview" questions for new professionals in my life...

What about you? Do you ask? Do you consider how their beliefs could affect you and your life?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:18 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• nope... I don't give a rats ass if my dr is christian, muslim, jewish or athiest, as long as they are a good doctor
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• See that's what I always thought as well... Until their beliefs altered the care I got... For me, it wasn't something major, they refused to tie my tubes because it clashed with their beliefs. But after that I realized it could have been something major like refusal to give blood or other medical treatments...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:23 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Yes, sort of, I asked my doc to respect my wishes according to my beliefs and he cooperated. He delivered all three of my babies.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:24 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I agree with peanutsmommy1

It's not my business WHAT their religion is. Nor is my belief theirs!

Same for friends........we are all unique and as long as my friends aren't back stabbers, theives and all that crap... and we all get along. So be it.
    Anonymous

• No.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 1:27 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• We have the choices, we just have to speak up. Even if you push your beliefs aside, you are in charge of your own body, not them.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• If i could think of a way it would alter our relationship, or effect me..probably. But i generally just dont care!!! I guess If i knew something could come up in the future like what you went through i would ask about that specifically more so than just their religious practices.
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 1:31 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• 3giggle - I found that is NOT the case, because I even as a patient do NOT have the right to ask them to go against their beliefs. While in an idea world their beliefs would have no place in business, they do. More than once now I have seen the beliefs of doctors, lawyers and whatnot come between their patient/client and "proper" treatment... A doctor or lawyer has the right to refuse you ANY treatment on the basis of their beliefs. Just like you have the right to refuse any treatment or doctor... The problem I have run in to though is that because these questions didn't come up until it was a make or break situation, it was to late to change professionals once the situation came up...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:31 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• It is none of my business what religious belief they have, and I would find it very unprofessional if they asked me the same unless their profession had something to do with religion.

The only exception I can come up with is if an OB or pharmacist refused to give me birth control based on their beliefs. I still wouldn't ask what their religion was, but they would lose me as a customer immediately.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:34 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Then my experience is different. I talked before problems arose. I wasnt concerned about my docs belief, just mine. If he would not have obeyed my wishes, then I would have found a new doc.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:36 PM on Jun. 14, 2010