More of a vent than anything else...

I was going through our (DH and I) bank accounts online because I got a text from our old daycare provider. She said that a check had been returned and that we owed her cash for the week plus a $30 returned check fee (which I have NO problem with). So I went to our accounts and found out that DH has aquired $174 in RETURNED CHECK FEES and spent $9.50 in ATM fees in just the last month!!! That's half our grocery money for the month!!! And it's on stupid crap (like Burger King for lunch one day, then stopping at a gas station for a snack another day). He's not being secretive or vindictive about it... honestly, he's just not very smart with money :-( He doesn't keep a checkbook registrar so he has NO idea how much is in that account at any given moment. I am so frustrated! We are going to have a lengthy conversation about this tonight and I am making the executive decision to take charge of all money matters.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• Time to take away the checkbook and check card. Only cash on payday.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 1:27 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• You go girl!
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 1:37 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Definitely no need for him to have a card or checkbook. He probably should just have X amount of cash that he gets on payday.
    Anonymous

• Take away all debit cards, credit cards, checkbooks, etc. until he can learn to control himself. My dh was the same way. A couple years ago, he racked up $1,000 in overdraft fees alone in ONE MONTH. Yeah, his card was mine after that!
    Anonymous

• i let my husband do all the oney figuring for us. i get a little of my own spending money so i dont have to use the checkbook or any cards, it all works out for us.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 1:56 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Thanks ladies. I am going to take the cards, checks and put us BOTH on a cash only budget!
    Anonymous

• don't tell him where they are once you take them either hide them good:)
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 3:04 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• My husband only has a credit card. No debit and no ATM. I have always been in charge of the checking account. It works out much better when there is only one checkbook register and one person to keep track of everything.
    Anonymous