Why are my sons teeth coming in blotchy??

His teeth are normal white but some spots are really bright white splotches? What is this from?

jenae_gist

Asked by jenae_gist at 1:27 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Too much fluoride can cause something called dental fluorosis, which are most likely what the white specks are. Get him in to see a dentist, they will be able to tell if that's what the problem is, in which case you would need to stop giving him the extra fluoride.

Most doctors/dentists will simply do a topical application (a paste that is quickly brushed across the teeth) because fluoride's main purpose is to protect teeth but too much CAN cause harm.
    ShadowRaven

Answer by ShadowRaven at 2:51 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Too much fluoride and it's permanent. :(

ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 1:29 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• tartar or its from fluoride
    Anonymous

• Oh no!! The dentist said to give him fluoride water! Not anymore!! =(
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 1:33 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• It comes from them having a significant amount of antibiotics. Fluoride helps their bones too, don't stop that.
    Anonymous

• It's from antibiotics. My 18yo has permenatently blotchy teeth from when he was a little one with serious health issues (and he was bf for all of the negative people who will say I should have bf to keep him healthy).
    Anonymous

• I thought I had also heard that fevers could cause patches or blotches on kids' teeth--has he had a lot of fevers?
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 2:16 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• antibiotics as a baby or fluoride or both
    kelldel

Answer by kelldel at 2:24 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• It's not permanent if these are his baby teeth. The teeth will fall out and the new ones will look different. It could be from any number of things. It can even be cause by him hitting his mouth on something too hard before the teeth came in. If your Dr. said to give him fluoride keep doing it unless he tells you this is what caused it and to stop. Your water supply may not have enough fluoride which can cause problems worse than not so perfect teeth. It can be corrected btw if it happens to his permanent teeth.

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 2:37 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• My son has them too and he's Never been on antibiotics, neither was I while pregnant with him.

Dentist said it's from fluoride in our water.
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 2:37 PM on Jun. 14, 2010