can I use expired oatmeal to bake cookies

I have 2 cans of it one expired in Feb of this year and the other expired a month ago.....I really want to make cookies, will it still be okay?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I would check it for bugs and things but since it's date was so recent, I'd still use it.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:07 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• it doesnt sound that expired BUT i was watching on the show hoarders once this lady had some expired flour and bugs got in it. I would think they could just as easily get into oatmeal.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 2:04 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• That would be a "best if used by" date. Oatmeal is a grain, nothing really to go bad in it, so I'd feel perfectly safe using it to make cookies, cakes, or bread.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 2:06 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Probably, it's just a dried grain as long as it looks OK I'm sure it's fine, it's not like it expired a few years ago. And for the record I'm the type of person that won't drink milk the day after the "sell by" date lol, drives DH nuts. But something like oatmeal is different. It might not taste as good after the expiration but I don't think it would hurt you.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:06 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Shay, I think that had a lot more to do with her being a hoarder and living in filth than when the flour actually expired.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:07 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I wouldn't but that's just me!
    Anonymous

• Nothing wrong with it as long as you don't have critters :) Bugs can get into unexpired stuff too, so I ALWAYS check (we live in the low country, and even though I haven't seen any, I always worry about ants!).
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:08 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• idk..i've had a bag of flour once too that little bugs got into. I dont know how but they did.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 2:09 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Thanks for all the rapid responses now I can go bake! Yeah the hoarders show's well those are different eviroments and bugs will be everywhere...definatly not a hoarder here, lol
    Anonymous

• haha..i just didnt want to tell yall that at first. Bugs like potatoes too.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 2:11 PM on Jun. 14, 2010