Has anyone tried to potty train thier 14 month old son ?

My son is 14 months , but her already says lots of words and is very smart at letting me know what he wants he doesnt pee in his diaper for a few hours so id like to try now ? hey why not sooner then later

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Seriously? Are you potty training him or you? Can he tell you he has to go? Can he dress and undress himself? Can he clean himself? By starting too early it can be very frustrating for them and you. My MIL swears her kids were trained that early. Right...
    Anonymous

• Go ahead. I am potty training my youngest daughter right now at 16 months. My 4 y/o was super smart and was talking in sentences at 16 months but, she just couldn't grasp potty training. My 5 y/o did potty train at 16 months. My 8 y/o was hard headed and didn't potty train until 2.5 years old.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:10 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• As long as you don't insist on perfection then it is not frustrating for them. You can make it fun and if they have an accident clean it up. In the beginning you will be the one that is trained but, it won't take long for him to start telling you he has to go.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:11 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• You must be a SAHM. Good luck to you. If you are just trying to get them to go in the potty, then give it a try. If you want them to do it by themselves, wait for a while. Its a hard enough process. Think about what your expectations are.
    Anonymous

• My little brother was 11 months when he was potty trained. He was very smart. But now my son is 19 months and I have just started and Im not sure if he is ready yet or not. Its different with every child :) GL!!
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 2:14 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• This is a big milestone time in their development at 14 months old. They are moving forward in so many areas. You could introduce him to the process but it is going to take a lot of patience. It is a journey not something that will happen quickly. I would want them to be able to tell you they have to go. I also agree they should be able to undress themselves and clean themselves, at least attempt to. Get rid of the onesies and be sure his pants are easy on easy off. When they are moving forward in one area of development they tend to move backward in another. Potty training is the common area to lose ground in frequently. It gets easier the older they get. I've potty trained a lot of little people. I wish you luck!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 2:17 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• 11 months old?????? LOL!
    Anonymous

• I would introduce him to the potty let him go when you go but don't expect anything right away and if he catches on GREAT, go for it.
    Also be aware that if you do get him fully potty trained any time soon there may be a chance of regression.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 2:22 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I started at 13 months with my son. We got out the potty and he pees on it regularly, but he didn't get the concept of being fully PTed. I tried again at 18 months but he's still not talking and he wasn't nodding/shaking his head, so it was too hard. He's 20mo now and has more words and is nodding/shaking his head so communication is Much easier. If your child can tell you, I would at least get the potty out and let him try it out and get used to the idea, then go from there.
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 2:40 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I started with my stepson when he was around 18 months and he was fully trained by the time he was about 27 months. If i had started being his mom earlier i probably would have done it earlier because he showed signs of readiness.

Every child is different. And it never hurts to introduce the concept early (by introduce i mean getting a potty that is his size and putting it in the bathroom for him to use whenever he wants).
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:03 PM on Jun. 14, 2010