swimming help

my friend has three kids ages 8, 6, and 3. they have been waiting for the pool to open so they could go swimming. when we got to the pool they wanted to go in and have fun like everyone else, but the 8 and 3 year olds only stuck their feet in and the 6 year old only got in for a little bit. they want to go in but they are afraid of getting wet. so my friend asked me to ask you ladies for any advice to get them into the water. they still want to go, they have already asked today to go, but we know as soon as we get there they will cry when we ask them to get into the water. but they don't want to leave they want to play in the water and we even bought all kinds of toys to play with in the water and they are dying to use them. any advice would help. and my kids tried to get them to play with them in the water, but that didn't work.

clumm

Asked by clumm at 2:26 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• Do you get in the water with them? That is what I did. We have a pool, so I did not want to have kids who screamed and were scared around the water. To force them is to traumatize them, let them dip their feet in for a few days. Is this a public pool? DO they have steps that go down into the pool, we used to sit and play there to get used to the water, but for the most part, I put a floaty on them, held them tight, and proceeded at their comfort level.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:40 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Swimming lessons!
    Anonymous

• I would just go a few times and let the kids get more comfortable. The may inch in further everytime. Swim lessons are a good idea. I wonder why they are so scared? Have they been taught pools are dangerous?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:36 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I use to teach kids swim lessons when I was a teenager, the best way to get them into the water is YOU standing in the pool (3-4ft deep max) and holding onto them as they jump in and just letting them do that over and over again until they get comfortable, then I'd invest in private swim lessons. Flotation devices help make them more comfortable in the pool, too.
    LittlestKeen

Answer by LittlestKeen at 2:42 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• When I was a kid, I was always afraid it would go over my head. I was short though. My dad got in then got out and told me to stand next to him and I saw the wetness on him ended around my arm pits. Once I learned that I was in fact over 3 feet :-) I became a fish.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:49 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• we stand in the pool and they have flotation devices. a kiddie is a great idea but we live in an apartment complex. they look forward to going every day, but when we get there my kids and i get in the pool and so does their mom, but when they get their feet in they say o.k. this is good and they are learning to swim (when we get them into the water) but they won't go past the first step. and she can not afford swimming lessons.
    clumm

Answer by clumm at 2:55 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• hey this is jessi, my friend posted this for me, i cannot afford swimming lessons, i am a single mom of 3 on my own. they were never taught the water was a bad thing, they were taught the safety rules. i dont want them to be afraid so i encourage them to get in but i dont want them to be scared and never try either. were going to the pool again today and im thinking not to make a big deal out of it. i get in and play, so maybe when i get in and not push them to then maybe they will come on their own. is this the right thing or just throw them in!! lol thx for your advise and if anyone else has any then please post! i will check your responses through out the day!
    clumm

Answer by clumm at 3:17 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• update. we went to the pool and told them they do not have to get in and they could sit by the edge. and left it at that. after watching all of the rest of us they slowly made their way in and they had a blast. they didn't want to leave. but we didn't bother them and didn't make a big deal out of it and after an hour of slowly inching in they finally got in and had fun. thank you for all of the responses and the help.
    clumm

Answer by clumm at 4:15 PM on Jun. 15, 2010