Do you thing Father's should have the same rights and respect

as mother's have, when it comes to custody cases?

I think more, and more fathers are showing that they can do just as good of a job raising and providing for their child(ren) as mother's or even more so in some cases. Their are more mother's walking away or not wanting the full responsibility of being the primary parent these days. I was just wondering why dad's don't get the same respect, and courts seem to cater to the mother. I saw a case the other day, where dad has been taking care of the kids since 2005 and mom disappeared with some random boyfriend and now returned to court wanting visitation or custody. She got phone visits for now, but the magistrate did not even lecture her about her absence in the children's life for 2 years and off and on for the remainder. The nerve of some mothers to expect all their rights to get handed right back...because now they want them!!!! your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think it is coming around to be more equal now. It is going to vary from place to place though. Some towns may just have more "traditional" values. My uncle got custody of my 2 cousins and he and his wife raised them for most of their lives. Their mom was kinda nuts though. Maybe that particular magistrate just doesn't lecture.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 2:31 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• YES! There are lots of fathers out there that are WAY better parents than the mother. Provide a more stable home etc. It shouldn't ever automatically favor the mother.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 2:32 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Yes I think fathers should get the same repsect in ANY case regarding HIS children! Before I do anything with my DD I get my SO's opinion on it. No I am NOT asking him his permission do to anything with OUR kid I am just giving him the same respect I want! I also know 2 single dads who's kids are amazing little men and are so much better off with their fathers than their mothers! One of the moms doesn't even visit the little boy who is now 8 years old. She walked out and left her diabled (he has sever eplepsy) husband with a 4 year old to care for all on his own. He had to move in with his mom so that someone was there 24/7 so if he had a seizere he wouldn't die and if he was alone with his son nothing would happen. The man can not even work and he does what he can with his SSI and a tiny bit of child support! He is a better father than the "mom" is a mother!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 2:32 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• they have the same rights in my county/state....I actually know many fathers who have and had had full custody
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:46 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I think it depends on the father, and whether they deserve the same rights and respect.
    Anonymous

• (NEW YORK)- I don't think a FATHER'S right have caught up yet, they are still ( second class) as far as the stae is concerned. The bio Mother who has custody, trumps the Father's rights here,and thats WRONG. My husband has a son--never see's him- has his pay garnished for support, and she calls the shots. She can raise the support,leave the country,move with NO forward,and gets away with it. son will soon be 18- I don't think college is in the picture, so she is going to be out all the support she has been getting. Can't wait for that day- then its up to the son if he wants to see his father
    Anonymous

• Ohio here - and fathers cannot win a custody case unless the "mother" is really, really bad (several felonies, proven drug addiction, proven physical abuse). Even if the father does get custody, the mother can come back, say she's changed, and may get the kids back. It's horrible and wrong. The courts look at gender before they look at who the best parent is. I've seen some things recently that give me a tiny bit of hope - but I don't expect fathers to get equal treatment by the courts in my lifetime.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:25 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Yes I do, although I could never ever imagine not wanting custody of my kids, I think there are some instances in which the children are better off with their dad.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:37 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Shooting a kid out of your golden uterus does NOT make you a mother. The court system is SADLY outdated and needs to treat both parents equally - there are many "Mothers" out there that suck *ss. To them, the kid is a source of income and they dan't be bothered. I have experience, close and personal with this one. If we are indeed concerned with what is "best for the child" then gender should not matter and the better parent should have custody.
    Mommie2Max

Answer by Mommie2Max at 5:06 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Scuba that is not true. Maybe what you have seen, but my brother in law has custody of his daughter (my sister's child) and the judge said she would have to show him concrete proof that she had seriously changed. She hasn't since 2005 even in all the court hearings so my brother in law still has her which I am fine with because he is a much better parent for her.
    I think it needs to be looked at anymore as who is the better parent not based on gender. So many mothers don't care anymore and it is sad.
    carmadsmom

Answer by carmadsmom at 5:19 PM on Jun. 14, 2010