Tying Shoes

My 7 yr does not know how to tye his shoes. Any suggestions on how to engage him in wanting to learn this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have you tried with him yet? What was his reaction? My DD couldn't wait to learn how to tie but she is like that. Then about 1 week after finally learning she broke her arm! lol But she learned how to tie w/ her broken arm all on her own.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 2:50 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• get someone else to teach him. I tried for months and no luck. He stayed with my MIL for one night and came home a pro! My son is 5 1/2 I was shocked at how she taught him in just 1 night!
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 2:50 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I agree with Shay. Find someone he really looks up to that is a little older to teach him. My daughter didn't want to learn things like that from me, so my little sister, who is 4 years older than Kiwi taught her to tie shoes. Until then, all she did was tie knots in them until there was no more shoe string left to work with.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:53 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Y es I have worked with him. his father too. He shows no interest. Also he use to have a daycare provider work with him before he started Kindergarten but he never took interest with her either.
    Any videos to share?
    thanks again
    Anonymous

• Have you tried a couple of different ways? My mother tried to teach me to make two loops and tie them together but I couldn't do it that way. My granda showed me the one loop then round and pull through method which is supposedly harder but I got it right away. I still get tied up in knots if I try to do the two loops way, it just doesn't make any sense to me at all.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 10:28 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I'd buy slips ons or velcro tabbed shoes. It's not the end of the world. He will learn when he's ready.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:13 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• I would sit with my children, one shoe on my lap one on theirs and go step by step. Once they masterd each step we would move on to the next. It did not take long. Perhaps a reward as incentive would peak his interest.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:24 AM on Jun. 15, 2010

• No ideas - but I feel your pain. My son is 6 and I've tried dozens of times to teach him, using both the one and two loop method. His fingers just won't do it!
    DDDaysh

Answer by DDDaysh at 3:42 PM on Jun. 16, 2010