Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sex Offenders

I live in a condo complex which is located right across the street from the Elementary school. Well there is a registered sex offender charged with several counts of attempting to touch, and molestation of children who lives in the building right across the street from me. A couple mothers and I were talking about this earlier and we look out for each others children, but I just dont know how to bring it up to my child. He is almost 6 years old, should I flat out tell him what this man did? I told him there is a bad man who lives in here and needs to stay in our court yard. Why is this man allowed to live near children? So close to schools? It just sickens me, that I have to worry about this!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (7)
  • Just make sure your kid knows not to go in anyone's home that you haven't not already okayed. That he knows not to fall for the "lost puppy" or "I have candy" or whatever crap someone may pull. Make sure he knows what the "bad touch" is.
    I wouldn't tell him flat out what the mad did. He just needs to be aware that these people exist in general. If he asks point blank "why is this man bad" you can just tell him that he's hurt kids before.

    Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:44 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

  • Which state do you live in? I would call the police and question the regulations of him living there. Just in case he slipped through the cracks when he gave them his address.
    I have a 6yr old daughter, and if I were in your situation, I don't think I'd tell her exactly what the guy did, but I'd definitely give her the speech about not talking to strangers, not letting people see or touch your private parts, etc...

    Answer by mama2br00ke at 2:46 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

  • I'd be contacting the police dept. There is no way that can be legal for him to live across from a school!

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:47 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

  • call the cops and ya tell your kids about that perv!!!!! also Knowledge is power the more your kids know the safer they will be

    Answer by saadamarie at 2:50 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

  • Did you bring it up to the management at the complex. We had a sex offender move in an apartment near ours and I reported it to the manager and they had him removed. No one with a violent criminal history is allowed to live in our complex. And you can contact the police and report him living close to a school. Make sure your son knows what he looks like too.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 2:52 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

  • I've been talking to my children about this type of thing since they were two years old... inform your son asap.

    Answer by DaphneMae at 3:19 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

  • Most people who are registered sex offenders, depending on their charge aren't allowed to live within so many miles of a playground or school. By the sound of the charges it sounds like he shouldn't be living where he is. If you know any type of lawyer, judge, or any court official just ask what the restrictions are for those who are registered.

    As for your child just be straight with them. Let them know that they are not to take rides from strangers, talk to strangers, or accept any gifts from strangers. If a stranger tries to force them to do something then they need to scream and run away. If they can't get away they need to fight back and scream for help. Make sure they scream why they need help. Be honest with your children. They're going to figure this all out eventually, don't you want them to hear it from you? When you can tell them the truth about it. What's right or wrong, etc? Be honest now!

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:25 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.