LOL...Have you ever garbage picked anything?

My friends and her husband make garbage picking into a family outing,lol. If they have nothing better to do and one of them might pop out and say "who wants to go garbage pickin?" and the kids get all excited,hurry up and get ready like they were going to the beach or somthing, LOL. I mean, heck..its free and they have found some really cool stuff. Like 3 working power wheels & a basketball hoop.My SO & I on the other hand, drive past something worth picking up,circle around and then laugh our butts off because neither one of us is brave enough to get out the car to grab it real quick.Yesturday, we were driving to the dollar store when we say a little tikes cubed climber with a slide in the garbage.WE GARBAGE PICKED IT! OMG! I was so embarressed! LOL. I had to hold the hatch up while he worked all the pieces in the back of the jeep.Traffic was held up.I put on my shades hopin noone recognized me LOL! Have you ever?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• ROFL - where we live, this is actually a community sport. We live on a military base overseas, and bulk trash pickup is done every so often. Well, there are tons of things that people don't want to take or aren't able to take with them, or whatever, and they put it out for trash day. All sorts of people (ranging in all paygrades - officer and enlisted, junior and senior), will pick stuff up. It sure beats you buying it new, just to toss it yourself in a year or so when you move.

For example, one guy here - a Master Chief (E-9, the highest enlisted paygrade), would go around and get lawnmowers, etc that people threw out. He would re-build them, then sell them cheap.

In fact, when people move here, their sponsors tell them what neighborhood has bulk pickup on what day, in case they need things like a snowshovel, etc, since people moving to someplace like, say, FL, will just toss them rather than try to store them there.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:02 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Not as an adult. I did as a kid though. That's where most of our stuff came from back then. It drove my mom nuts when someone would ask me "where'd you get that?" and I'd say "from the dumpster last night". I mean really, if you want me to be honest, mom, then don't get mad when I tell the truth! :-)

I think there are laws about that now. Around here, if something is sitting w/the trash or on the curb, you have to get the owner's permission to take it unless there is a sign saying "take me" or something like that.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 3:00 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• yeah,my mom made us stop. Someone had threw an antique chair out. It just needed to be reupholstered.
    Anonymous

• OH ya, we have some found some good stuff "dumpster diving" its fun.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 3:01 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• We call it dumpster diving. We don't plan on going but there are some times when on the way shopping, we have found some good stuff along the road for trash...like a little tykes play house and kitchenette. A power wheels with no battery (cheap to buy a battery vs the whole thing)
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:02 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• no, but my cousin made me take him dumpter diving once behind a sex shop. They threw out old porn mags and he stocked up. He was 15 and i had just got my car. It was funny.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:02 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Yes! I found an armiore one time and it wasnt in bad shape at all. I found this cute rusted bistro chair, and threw it in the garden and let a flowering vine grow on it and its my favorite. There are two things about garbage finds 1) usually its in good shape though its unwanted and 2) people place these unwanted items by the garbage hoping someone might take it.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:03 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• In the town I live in there is a day at the beginning of summer. It's the town clean up day. You put all your unwanted stuff out at the curb. Then if anyone wants anything they just take it. Then the next day the township comes around and picks up the rest of it. It's actually right when college lets out. So there is all kinds of stuff....anything you can think of, to "choose" from LOL
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 3:04 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Some people make it a lifestyle it's called being a freegan. They don't even go to the grocery store. Ick! LOL
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 3:13 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I've never done it myself, but I know people who have. I probably wouldn't do it because, with my luck, one of the following would happen:

1. I'd find nothing but worthless junk.
    2. I'd get "caught" and accused of stealing garbage.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 3:23 PM on Jun. 14, 2010