How many believe the U.S. is based on Chrisitan laws and ideas?

Just curious because I hear it all the time around where I am at. Even when they say "in god we trust" it could be anyone's "god". what are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Jun. 14, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• One more time... The US was NOT founded on ANY religious belief - that included Christian. Things like "in god we trust" and "under god" were added later in an effort to strengthen the country... In fact if you look back to the original settlers you'll find that a good many of them came her to escape religious persecution that they were facing in England...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:06 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I hope it isn't. Good answer Sabrina.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 3:08 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• lol...I am curious to see as well how many people will think it is.
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 3:09 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• This country was founded by puratins. Escaping the Christian and Catholic beliefs of their home country. To find and build a home of religious freedom. However, the Christian religion did take over, which caused a lot of laws, sayings, and what-not to be put into the countries structure. However, the country was not founded on Christian or Catholic beliefs originally.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:15 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I don't believe it is, but some Christians erroneously think it is. I also like and agree with sabrinas answer.

Answer by older at 3:27 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• All one must do to know the answer to this question is go back and read history for oneself. That probably won't convince you either, because you have already made up your mind that it isn't. However, if you read the documents and the biographies of our founding fathers, the answer is clearly evident that this nation was founded on Christian principles.
    Anonymous

• The Puritans were Christians who did not want to follow the established church of England. The were Christians who wanted to follow the teachings of Christ in their own way. Many principles and laws in the constitution are based on Christianity. It's freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion.

The majority of our founding Fathers had strong Christian beliefs. 54.7% were Episcopalian/Anglican, 18.6%, were Presbyterian, 16.8% were Congregationalists (protestant form of Christianity), 4.3% were Quaker, 3.7% were German/Dutch reformed, 3.1% Lutheran, 1.9% Catholic, 1.9% Huguenot (French Calvinist), 1.9% Unitarian, 1.2% Methodist, 0.6% Calvinist.

With the obvious majority of the founding fathers proclaiming Christian faith, there is no way for there to have not been Christian influences in our founding documents and laws.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 3:30 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• http://www.adherents.com/gov/Founding_Fathers_Religion.html

Here is a link for my information for those interested.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 3:31 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• haha..kind of reminds me of what the Romans did with the catholic church..hmmm. From what I remember..people wanted to get away from the religious crap
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 3:31 PM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Many of the laws are based on Judaeo Christian laws, Along with Roman laws and was tweaked from the Roman form of Government.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 3:34 PM on Jun. 14, 2010